1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Don't these plows have a pressure relief valve?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Buswell Forest, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I tagged a curb with the xv....hit pretty hard, I will grant.
    Knocked the right wing back to the stop, and exploded a hose on the angle cyl.
    I mean, EXPLODED it.

Maybe the valve got overwhelmed?

Also....somewhat alarmingly, it now leaks fluid, slowly, from the base of the reservoir...There's some sort of outside rubber oring down there that was half off..I put it back in the groove, but it can not be a sealing device, more like a retaing elastic?

WTF is that about? I am going to the car wash and ****** it in the am, then have my brother work the controller while I peek...
  2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Actually they have 5 relief valves. 2 for each angle ram and 1 for the pump. Guessing yours is not set correctly.

Edit: As far as the the reservoir the breather should allow any pressure to escape, may be clogged?
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  3. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I suppose the relief valves have to balance shock absorbing with holding enough pressure so that the plow doesn't fold when in use.
    The parts diagram @ Fisher.com has an oring to seal the bottom plug on the reservoir, but mine is external now...I will know more in the am.
  4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Like I said, I am guessing reliefs not set correct, send pressure to reservoir with a clogged/iced up breather. Something gotta give.
  5. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

The ring I think you are talking about is the rubber ring that holds the front and rear covers on, there is also a larger one on top that sort of has handles so you can pull it off to get access to the pump, by the way I have a similar problem right now, I blew the larger hose the 3/8 hose on the passenger side wing 3 times in the last storm like you said blew it the hole in the middle of the line is so big I can fit my thumb in it. The first time was a pretty good wack so I was like ok but the next two were not that hard I thought. Anyway I bought relief valves and am gonna try and throw them on before I have to go out today either that or I gotta be careful because hoses aren't cheap !! But this is the third season for this plow it's a 9'6" and I have not had a problem before this, I also have a 8'6 that is in its third season and the only problem I had with that was at the end of the season last year the factory edge 3/8 was worn and ready for replacement when they guy driving caught a raised manhole with the edge of the blade, snapped the last 6in of the cutting edge right off, from the double bolts out to the end !! Other than that they have been great.
  6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Could've been the temps as well, if it was really cold all kinds of fun stuff can happen.