1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Don't Take Plows Off Yet

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Tim C, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Tim C

Tim C Member

My area is saying 2-4" . The last time they said this we had 5-10".So on that note be prepared. I don't put my plow away till end of April. LET IT SNOW:drinkup: payup

TIM C
  2. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Guys, I warned you. I guess ya did not listen. I told ya not to put the plows away until end of April. I know your excuse is that weather have been very warm in past two weeks and that it does not feel like it will snow again this season. I agree with you, it does feel that way. But I know that this has happened many times before; one day it was sunny and very warm, then the next day it was snowing like crazy.

Yep, I won't be putting the plow away until end of April. But I have the Toyota and snowplow up for sale now. Buyer would not be able to pick it up until at least mid of April - because it is the only plow I have. I am getting a new snowplow for my new 2500HD this summer.

They are saying 4-8" for my area. So it looks like it will be a plowable event. Just have to be careful plowing gravel driveways. Just plow slightly above the ground then backdrag the rest of driveway. Works well for me with the last storm we had earlier this month. I will be getting a new urethane edge for my new plow this summer too. As I heard, they are supposed to do very well in most driveways conditions.

This could be a good last plowable event for this season. But I heard that NWS is saying more snow for next weekend. Well we will worry about that later! :D
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The last plowable snow we got was Feb 18th. Then the plows sat around for a month and a half just waiting while we got 25 below zero weather. Now that the ground is thawed out and completely soaked with melting snow and rain, it decides to snow. Meanwhile, we're also under another seeming improbability. We are being warned about the potential for both a drought and flooding - at the same time. We were in a drought last summer and fall and needed above average snowfall to catch up. We didn't get that. According to my measurements we're about fifteen inches below normal for this area. Now, with the high temperatures, the snowpack is melting fast in the higher elevations, creating flooding around here. But that won't help the drought, it'll just run off into the rivers and on out to the ocean.
  4. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

My plow has been off for a while now, but I keep it in my garage so its easy to get to if I need it. Im not putting it on though until I see some real accumalation. I have this feeling its not gonna stick to paved surfaces and only stick to grassy areas, I could be wrong, but it has been awfully warm the last few weeks. Like Chuck said, we will sit, wait and watch out the window, like I do anyway, I dont go by what these weather guys say, hehe. Mike :)
  5. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

same here Mike ground too warm to let it accumulate,and the weather is supose to be warm there after what falles unless it's over 5" will go away fast i think. but who knows
  6. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

No dought we are going to get hammered. I took the sander off the truck Friday and washed it and the truck all down, rebuilt the saw horses it sits on and stored it infront of the Salt Shed that only has about 5 yards left. I expect to see about a foot and a half tonight!:eek:
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

We got a dusting of the slickest darned ice pellets you ever saw.
  8. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

6"+ of snowfall here, but not much accumulation on pavement. Could still see where it was still showing a bit gray on paved areas compared to the full build up on the grass.

Radar indicates maybe an hour or two before the storm is past us, so we'll see how much,if any, remains to be plowed in the wee hours.

Plan right now is to plow only if necessary, otherwise this will be a salt event for commercial accounts only.
  9. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

the 128 belt only 1" to a dusting .
  10. DanG

DanG Senior Member

I jinxed everyone:D

I no sooner had put the plow back on and it stopped snowing here.:(

My driveway in the shade had about an 1". (if that)

But everywhere else had no build up. Grounds just to darn warm for it to stick.
    I took a drive and checked on a couple of places and they were just wet black top.
    Looks like a non plowing event for me.:realmad:
    would've been nice to get just one more storm in.

11. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Same thing here. Got around 1" of snow on grassy area, but nothing really sticking on pavement. It would have be nice to have one more plowable event, but it does not look like it this time. I am ready for spring. Will be starting spring clean up soon.
  12. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

Well fellows figured i wouldnt probley be posting this late but ya know it we got enough last night to salt man its hard to belive with the ground being so warm, and tonight there saying upto a inch , i kinda got out of the mode i still have plows on all but my personal truck i drive sure was nice to drive that truck plowless after 5months being on well anyway kinda neat posting here again gook luck out east looks like you guys are getting the more heavy snow

13. drobson

drobson Senior Member

I didn't get enough to put the plow back on. Didn't stick to any paved surfaces at all. Maybe an inch on the grass, but that should be gone by mid afternoon because it's supposed to get above 40F later. Oh well, there is still time for one more, but we need some cold weather prior to the snowfall so it will stick. With it almost hitting 70F last week here, there was no way the snow was going to stick to the roads.