1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Don't put too much money into your truck !!!

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by thelettuceman, Jan 6, 2013.

1. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

My wife had (as in no more) a 2001 vehicle that was bought new 12 years ago. Since day 1 of ownership I have always over maintained the car. I wanted it to last forever. 2 weeks ago a car ran into the back of her. My wife is okay. The car is totaled.

Of course you should maintain your vehicle but all that extra care and money that I put into the 2001, vanished in a second.

Just wanted to sound off and see if anyone was like me except substitute your truck for my 2001.

2. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Did you get much for it from your insurance?

3. thelettuceman

not for a 12 year old car

4. ULM2013

ULM2013 Member

Where the picture?

5. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

You should have gotten enough to buy a nice 01-02 to replace it.

6. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

My cousin just had her small car (some piece of junk she got for 3800) totaled and the insurance company gave here 4500!

7. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

It goes by blue book value and mileage

8. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Hey sucks to hear about that! I think to myself sometimes as well, all the extras I do to my truck are really not going to get me more for the truck, or increase value. But it makes me feel better about driving it so I guess it works out haha

9. thelettuceman

This is under litigation so no pictures and no id of the car ... Not trying to be a smart ass ... hope you undrestand

10. thelettuceman

My feelings exactly ... until this happened

11. thelettuceman

We will find out.
    I know you put a lot of $$$ and care into your truck. Please be careful "out there"

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  12. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

I think your top notch maintnance did pay you back , 12 years service is about all you get out of a car these days . You did good .

13. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

Not a hard fact , if its in good to great condition you can take pictures and even pay for a professional appriasal. You can also research similar cars in the same condition in your area to see what they are currently selling for. If it has new engine, new transmission new tires etc those do not really add value to the car as they are needed to make it road worthy , you really will not recoup the money spent on those items because without them the car would be worth alot less. Never cash or sign a document unless you are happy with the number they are paying you. Most insurance companies are paying you the proper value because it costs more for them to fight with you over price. If they are coming in with a low price and you have some documents showing it should be higher they will usually bump up to that.

14. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

That makes zero sense.

15. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I am not going to worry about it to much. That is why I have insurance. You can be careful driving and someone else can screw up. We are all human and we make mistakes. Hopefully the mistake does not cause loss of life. Cars can be replaced. Your life or even body parts are not replaceable. :nod:

16. thelettuceman

I do not want any information out there that could be used against me. You never know who is watching.

17. thelettuceman

Thank you for the kind words but .... the car was not even broken in yet ... LOL

18. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Ive been through situations such as this one several times unfortunately. Posting a picture of a wreck that every involved person most likely already has will have absolutely zero bearing on your case. But to each his own.

19. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

This is why I gave up running nice older units. If and when you have to have an insurance claim you get screwed. Has happened to me several different times always ending with the same BS results.

20. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

you didn't expect the car to appreciate in value, did you? go out, buy a new car today, drive it off the lot, and you'll be lucky to get 80% of what you paid if you sell it tommorow. just imagine what it will be worth 12 years later.....

you got 12 years of reliable service out of a car. thats more than most people get. hadn't you maintained it maybe it would have died after 7 years? i'd say you did ok.