1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Don't Open That Email!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JElmWin, Jan 27, 2004.

1. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

Forgive the off-topic thread. There is a particularly malicious e-mail virus/worm out there and I thought I should give everyone a heads up. Don't open any e-mail if it says anything about a failed delivery. EVEN IF IT'S FROM SOMEONE YOU KNOW! the following is from MSN:
    The message sports one of several different random subject lines, such as "Mail Delivery System," "Test" or "Mail Transaction Failed." The body of the e-mail contains an executable file and a statement such as: "The message contains Unicode characters and has been sent as a binary attachment." and "The message cannot be represented in 7-bit ASCII encoding and has been sent as a binary attachment."
    The worm replicates itself by finding e-mail addresses on your computer and then sending out hundreds of copies of itself. Therefore you could get an e-mail from someone you know and it will be the virus.
    Do us all a favor and update your virus program before you check your mail. If you don't have an anti-virus program check out:
    http://www.wilders.org/index.htm or
    They have many programs and some are free!
  2. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

3. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

4. sboi12345

sboi12345 Junior Member
    from ohio

this e-mail will contain of a .zip file, saying something along the lines of" test, text" one hundred spaces, then the .exe. DO NOT OPEN THIS if you get it, go down to it on your computer with the arrow keys and hit " shift and enter"

5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

yup its a catergory 4 on macfee its a wild one
  6. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

thanks-i dont need anything else f'ing up my comp!
  7. drafto

drafto Member

Do you need to execute the file to have the virus? I had some emails like that and just previewed them in my Outlook then deleted them, I didn't double-click on them though. AM I good?
  8. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

You should be fine. The executable code is in the attachment. I also have Outlook. You were just looking at a preview. I think it would be obvious if something was amiss. Best to run a complete scan with your anti-virus (after update) just to be sure.
  9. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Damn thing got me.. I got a note from the admin at the state of Alaska... I'd been applying for jobs with them and I went to the trouble to open it.. Next thing I know my Norton isn't working.. Spanked that pretty good..

I went to Symantec.com and they were talkin about it. My Norton was updated 2 weeks ago.

I reinstalled Norton, updated it, ran a scan and had 63 files infected.. Nothin important. I haven't

..raf os

10. Chuckwk

Chuckwk Founder

Yea, this one made the news.
  11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Way I look at it....

If your dumb enough to open an .exe file you deserve to get the virus.

I'm VERY selevtive about what I open and from whom. Especially from AOL members.

While I run Nortons and update twice a week now, I was running barebacked for over 10 years previous, never had a virus.
  12. sboi12345

sboi12345 Junior Member
    from ohio

arrow keys

you go down to the message with the ARROW KEYS then hit SHIFT AND DELETE to get rid of the virus. you might get it again, so repeat what i just said if you get it again.