1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Don't know what to do

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by cutbetterthanyo, Mar 30, 2010.

1. cutbetterthanyo

cutbetterthanyo Senior Member

I just got home and received a email from a service company (that are states away) that i am a contractor for. They have the snow contract to a bank, and i push for them. My contract has a 2 inch trigger. They said there records don't match what i billed for, they said it was x amount of inchs and i pushed to many times. And on one day it didn't snow at all. During this storm there were gust 40-50 mph that caused drifts. I couldn't drive any faster than 25 sometimes down to 10 just to see,and at one point the state shut the road down for half of the day. I didn't lie on my bill, in fact i didn't feel i was keeping up enough. Not to metion i work 4 days with about a total of 6 hrs of sleep, and just wanted to go home. On my bill it is stated blowing snow, and they even give me 1 extra push for that, but they want to deduct a bunch more because they think i didn't push it, or it wasn't needed. How do I defend myself? As if it would be bad enough to defend myself a couple days after the storm, but now it is 2 months later.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Make a phone call to them first and hash it out. Then next season go seasonal.
  3. cutbetterthanyo

What do you mean buy sesonal just a set price per month? Are you or you wife the one in the pic buy your name? Kind of look like the wife from "gary unmarried".
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, a seasonal contract for plowing between Nov1st-Mar.31st for a set amount. payable monthly in equal amounts.
  5. snobgone

snobgone Senior Member
    from CT

Definitely need to speak to them about it and get weather reports for that area to prove to them the amount of accumulation. Then, figure out a way to cover this problem for next year if they wont go seasonal and keep working with you. Can the bank verify your services?
  6. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

The average person having their lot plowed forgets 2 weeks later let alone 2 months. Get some weather reports that show snowfall totals and dates for you area. Seasonal accounts do take care of this kind of problem. Hope you can collect.
  7. cutbetterthanyo

I think the weather reports for snowfall are the actual problem. That is what they are going off of and they are most likely close to accurate as to what fell. But the 40-50 mph gust were causing extra snow on the lots.There were times that on my phone it said that it wasn't even snowing, but you couldn't hardly see. I am not sure about the bank verifying because alot of the time they were closed and i am sure the the videos are self erasing after a certain amount of days. I think if they wouldn't do anything i am going to get the banks vp involved he is about a hour from me, but he got it worse than us, There roads were close for a couple days, i think, so maybe he can take up for me .I just don't get it he was blowing up my phone before the storm to make sure i could keep up he even offered to get me help if i needed it.The bank and service company made it very clear that it was to be treated with high priority, now this .
  8. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

guarentee the service company bit off more then they could chew this year:nod: if im not mistaken you guys in maryland had a record winter also...that being said the service company is gonna try and stick you on the money owed so there bottom line can be a little bit closer to what they priced the contract for when they bid.... record winters are not that common here in the east and
    i know of 3 companies doin the same thing to contractors here in philadelphia.....good luck :salute:
  9. cutbetterthanyo

How do you price seasonal? It is a $230 per push place, 2 inch trigger, anything less than 2 gets salt. And what about places like where i live, i normally get 2-3 pushs a year.This winter was crazy i am not even sure how many times i pushed. I also normally put out about a half a pallet of sal,t this year i put out 9. Not all at this one place .
  10. cutbetterthanyo

So they price it out seasonal and pay me per push? I figuared they were per push too.
  11. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

You need to start keeping track of how many times you plow and salt each year. That way if you have to give a seasonal bid its easier.
  12. snobgone

snobgone Senior Member
    from CT

You can find your local seasonal average on NOAA or weather underground to formulate a seasonal bid too. It is good to have a record of your personal observations too. But, yes, you just multiply your price by the number of services you expect to supply. They are typically multiyear agreements so you have an opportunity to recover if its year like this.

It is strange that the company is asking you for verification if they are billing the bank per push, unless the bank is questioning the bills. Did you send your invoices out immediately after the storms?
  13. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

Get paid

After plowing snow in MN since '86, I'm thinking this is just the sort of kick in the rear a guy needs to decide to deal directly with the property owner or tennant, not some off in the distance bottom feeder sopping up gravey for finding clever ways to give hard working contractors the shaft ! ! (in my opinion) I will deal only with property owners.... people who know me and that I know and trust to appreciate AND pay me. Ofcourse........ thats just me talkin' Hope things work out for the best for you.
  14. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

not very experienced but here is what id do. try getting written statements from dot in ur area on what they had to deal with on the dates in question and the road closure as well. they should have a record of what they ran. if they can show there drivers were busy with blowing snow in ur area on those dates then that would be a solid validation for ur billing.
  15. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I had the same problem with a company I work for based out of MA. They said my inches did not add up to what they saw on NOAA. I had work tickets signed by the managers of the sites stating the amount pushed each time. They kept saying NOAA stated only so many inches. I told them Cleveland is a large area and one area can get 1 inch and 3 miles away can have 6. I emailed there ceo stating my case and emailed her the proff of the signed work tickets with the inches on them. The next day they called and said all of my services were going to be invoiced. Oh yeah it never stated in there contract that NOAA was there official snow fall source. I was pissed off and they knew it, but I got 3 checks on monday. Still 10 days past due.Good luck
  16. cutbetterthanyo

I emailed them last night explaining it all.I also talked to the banks property manager and he said to tell them if there were any problems talk to him. So i think it will be ok.