1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dont know what to do now

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by blk90s13, Nov 8, 2010.

1. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

I am looking at dump truck to expand my landscaping business / plowing a little really wanted to find a cummins dump auto 4x4 but they either run down to the ground or so dam much money

on the other hand I keep running across gassers 5.9l dump 4x4 with auto trans very low miles and great deals ?

are they worth the money ? will the 5.9l gasser pull a landscape trailer all day with a full load of mulch and or 3 tons gravel etc ?

how about pushing snow will it still be ok pushing snow ? who uses them and how do you like them

or should I just stay away from the gas and get a long bed diesel and buy a dump insert
  2. blk90s13

its actually a 2wd not 4x4
  3. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i was in the same boat a few years ago. i looked forever for a dodge diesel dump in good shape, i ended up buying a 1997 f-350 powerstroke. there are alot more ford dumps out there. imo id rather have a ford diesel dump than a gas dodge dump. my first choice would be a dodge diesel dump. the 5.9 gas will get the job done but they really dont make much power. id stick with a diesel if you can.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

There is a reason those Cummings are pricey.

If you really plan to use the truck like you say then a diesel is a must. Not only would you be drinking gas like a college boy drinks beer the cost of maintaining that auto trans will be like doing shot's with every beer. $$$

At 1st it may run great and seem like it has the ability to do the deed. But in a few WEEKS you will notice the decline. In the end you will wish you had bought the diesel and saved in maintenance costs. Once the crankshaft chain is stretched or the trans slips or the thud of a u-joint is heard you will kick yourself.

Spend a bit more and get a Cummings hooked to a Allison trans and you will save your money in the end and be ready to push it more next year.

There is a reason those gassers are good deals. Most times because they are looking to get a diesel after they sell.
  5. blk90s13

Cummings with an allison trans ? what year is that ? I am looking in the 94-02 range thats what I can afford

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I am thinking the best trans possible. Not sure if you can match those 2 but I would try. Dodge tranny's suck.
  7. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

He was referring to the "G". Cummins, no "g".
  8. AA+ Landscaping

AA+ Landscaping Senior Member

What are looking to spend?
  9. bigthom

bigthom Senior Member

Ha cummings hehe lol ok with that out of my system, if I were you and wanted a sweet truck buy a ford diesel dump( lots of em and cheap) I would then visit Destroked.com and get the conversion kit to go to a cummins they have everything u need to make a ford into a cummins even the ford cummins power badges. And yes you can back a 12V cummins with a allison but never seen one 4wd I'm sure it can be done
  10. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I run them all the time. I have both gas and diesel and both will work for what you need.
  11. blk90s13

I am trying to stay below the 10k mark for now I will look at a 99 f-350 stake body dump with 121k miles 4x4 manual shift they want $9995 for it I will go take a look at it tomorrow

not sure if its worth that much.
  12. blk90s13

that sounds good and the gasser stops more at the station for fuel thats all right ?
  13. big schmitty

big schmitty Member

I have a 99 Dodge cummins 2x4 180k that I was just getting ready to put up for sale. It has a newly rebuilt 5 speed with an updated main shaft, new clutch, rebuilt rear end and a brand new vp44 from Scheid with a year warranty. It is a single cab with a utility box behind the cab and a 8' dump bed. 9500.00 The truck has no rust on the cab or tool box and just a few door dings. The dump bed has surface rust but works perfect.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  14. blk90s13

pictures ?
  15. big schmitty

big schmitty Member

I will post them for you tomorrow evening, when I get home from work.
  16. Willis Concrete

Willis Concrete Junior Member
    from toledo

I have a 96 Ram 3500 4x4 with a little over 92,000mi. and it still runs like a champ trans just got rebilt before bought it. and i put 4 to 5 ton of stone in it and it goes down the road good. i just bought a plow for it so this year will be my first year plowing with it.
  17. blk90s13

you talking about a gasser right ?
  18. big schmitty

big schmitty Member

PM me if you have any interest. Thanks

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Watch out for the Ford manual trans have been known to be very soft.

Have you thought about buying a dump from a wrecked truck and installing it on a 3500 4x4 truck with EZ miles??? Or looking for a newer dually with lots of miles. Have seen some great deals lately.... To find a clean dump truck that 4x4 this time of year is going to be pricy.... Its a sellers market for any 4x4 this time of year.

The gas trucks are great for pushing snow. But not great for running down the Hwy. Perhaps get the gasser now and look for the Cummins truck later in the season.
  20. blk90s13

I looked at the Ford today drove well a little loose in the front end the dump goes up and down but I dont know if I like the PTO setup it seems like a pain to operate

both doors have rust on the bottom but oil pan is in great shape ( maybe changed couple of years ago )

the truck is also the color I am looking for