1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dont know what to buy?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by QKSnowRemoval, Jan 30, 2009.

1. QKSnowRemoval

QKSnowRemoval Senior Member

Well i did a little pricing today on two plow brands, and im not sure what to go with. The boss std duty 7'6" steel, or super duty, Or the Fisher 7'6" HD or maybe an 7'6" xblade. My local dealer in towns price for the boss was 5,024 installed w/tax and 5,210 for the superduty. Then i decided to call the fisher dealer about 30 miles away for a 7'6" HD, and for just the plow they wanted 3,995 and 500 to install then tax what ever that would be.I didn't ask about the xblade then cuz i didnt think about it. And what would be better a 7'6" or and 8' foot plow for a 1500?
    So what it comes down to is i dont know what to go with, whats a better plow, the boss or fisher. They both have there pro's and cons. The boss i want to say is a little lighter, has no chain lift, but wont slap around in transport, and maybe quicker hydros. The fisher tho has the trip edge design,and has a chain lift so if the plow breaks u can take it back to the shop, and has more braces and has mm2, but they both claim to be fast to hook up, and both have newer style lights that are brighter. The truck its going on is a 98 dodge ram 1500 with a 5.9L club cab, and i will be putting timbers on it and may be stiffer springs.
    So in conclusion what should i do? what plow would be a better buy, boss or fisher, 7'6" or 8'. I know there is a price difference, but i want a great piece of machinery that works well with my truck.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Get the Boss...being able to "short chain" a plow is not a feature.

How would you short chain a boss?...use a jack or snow pile to get the plow off the ground, and use a strap.

I have a chain lift plow, and a cylinder only lift plow as well...the cylinder lift plow out performs the chain anyday,

Guarantee the boss has quicker hydros...My boss's Boss 8.2 V is fast as chit.

BY THE WAY...THOSE ARE SOME NICE PICS.

3. QKSnowRemoval

O yeah i see what you are saying so then 1 for the boss

4. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Why don't you try CPW they are in IL and they were cheaper than what youwere quoted. Just a thought. OH I'd do the Boss only because my buddy runs them and has tons of extra parts if needed.

5. riverwalkland

riverwalkland Senior Member

This is a picture posting thread FYI, might have better luck getting answers in the right section

6. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I say fisher because thats all I run and i love them.

untitled.jpg

untitled2.jpg

7. QKSnowRemoval

Yeah, i know about them found them today, they are alot cheaper, but they don't do installs do they?

8. QKSnowRemoval

Yeah i know, but then where would u off posted it? huh

9. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

they do installs but last time i was there it was like a 2-3 week wait for installs, it was pretty nuts. depending on where you are, i got a really good guy by me a little north of the city thatll install it for ya. think hes slowed down a little finally with the lack of snow we;ve been having lately

10. QKSnowRemoval

where would your dealer be that as close to cpw?

11. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

There both great plows. get the one that is easiest for you to get service on or parts. As for the x blade its about 400 more on average. One thing to consider about the Fisher X is that it wont look like crap for a while. So if you upgrade the Dodge in a few years you wont want a new plow

12. windrowsnow

windrowsnow Senior Member
    from nw ohio

if you are able to read and use basic mechanic tools installing a plow is simple. my buddy isntalls boss plows where he works...full service dealer, landscape, and snow removal company says he can put a boss on in 4 hours solo.

13. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

id say go with the western/fisher...i just had a convo with a guy who had bosses for years before he went to western b.c he was having to many problems with the bosses they break and dont scrape well...we run all westerns...out of all the guys we plow with...id say 50 or so (were subs and all do something differnt) about 40 of us use western or fisher...and one guy has a boss one has a blizzard and the rest are meyers

14. QKSnowRemoval

Yeah, well thankx for the reply's guys. Anyway i am thinking about going with the fisher, just because of the price difference, and how they have the trip edge, instead of the full trip, which i think would be easier on the truck. And there is like no one in my area that has a fisher, Its like boss country here, im serious, i like to be different and it sound slike the fisher is built stronger i think, especially the X blade. And i am pretty good with tools and im pretty mechanical, so i could more then likely but it together, One question tho is there any drilling for the bracket?

15. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Junior Member
    from Midwest

"Which plow" is just like "which truck". Dealer support - who will you get the best service from? Which can you more easily afford? Which suits your needs better?

The people who spout the "Boss plows are crap and break all the time" stuff are the same ones that spout the "Chevy trucks are SO better than Ford trucks" stuff. One word: Ignorant. Every one of the major plow companies makes a quality product, they just each have their own strengths and weaknesses.

16. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

Thats a realy good reason to go with the Boss

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes that right there should have sealed the deal for you. If there's 10 Boss's for every 1 Fisher which do you think has the best support in your area? Pretty much a no brainer there.

Being "different" does you little good if you can't source parts for it locally when you need them.

18. QKSnowRemoval

yeah this is a good point but, i dont think my dealer (the boss one) has alot of parts on hand anyway, the fisher one about 30 miles way, has 10,000 dollars in parts on hand, and he said if i need anything he would mail it to me.

19. ogdenflooring

ogdenflooring Member

Not sure if there's a western dealer near you, but I must say Im very impressed with the Midweight. Only 540# and does the job. It is a newer full sized standard duty plow. IMO-Perfect on 1/2 ton truck. There about 4300 installed around here. Good Luck!!!:redbounce

Matt

Oh......and the mail does no good if its broke and you need to finish the job. Parts WILL be needed!!!!

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That should tell you something as well. ;)