1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"Don't give us your snow, borough warns residents"

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Neige, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Neige

Neige Sponsor

2. newhol plower

newhol plower Member

we are mad in waterloo. people are plowing snow across road in comercial acounts. we never once this year have done this. some piles are 5 feet on the road a few are 10 feet at least and 5 feet high. we push all our snow in to the lot and if it builds to much of a pile we blow it on the lawn in a field in a bigger pile or onto dump truck. what ever the customer wants. sometimes we put snow off to the side of the entrance but not on the road. we do this if the city snow plow was late because of deep snow. we have a clean lot with 2 to 3 feet in the entrance. that is the only time it is acceptable to put snow their by my bosses rules. its even worse when somebody plows snow across the road beside our entrance and then the city plow puts it in your lots entrance. the customer calls in the morning we get in trouble have to go back and remove the entrance snow thats not our fault. if someone persists doing it we try to talk to them in the night. if they do it again we put his snow back or try talking to him again. if this doesn't work we dump snow in there lot (only 1 or 2 times). some people don't know the problem they are causing. thats why we talk to them. the dumping happens to aragant people that do it on purpose.they don't do it again. some people don't have removal equipment and we offer to do it for them that is the reason they are doing it. their lot is full and they only have a pick up. keep your snow on your lot its not yours or the cities problem the lot is to small and you need more parking. make them pay for removal of some sort. the city here was over budget at mid to late january why should they remove or have to deal with your snow. we don't control mother nature its not our fault it snowed so much. we do some residential and some places snow goes at the road but never on the road and defently never across the road. just ranting hope you can understand my post.
  3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I believe it is a state law (NY) that you can't push snow across a road, I know the town has called us on it once & it was a small steet with vacant property that we pushed the pile to. It is also illegal it in that town to stock pile snow in "right of way", but is common place. Its intresting to see howmany either disregard or don't know the laws (we still stockpile in ROW, as everyone else does.
  4. Runner

Runner Senior Member

We have alot of idiots do that around here (not YOUR techniques, Newhol, I am talking about what is in the article) lol.
    I can't believe when sometimes I'll go around a corner in a subdivision, and here is this big pile of snow in the street, not up on the curb. Instead of running it down and putting it up on the driveway owners yard, they leave it AGAINST the curb, or even worse yet, they push it across the street (which is wrong) and STILL don't put it up on the curb. People think that when the county trucks come through, that these piles don't affect them, but the fact is, is once these piles freeze up a bit, they sure DO affect these trucks. I have a customer who drives for the county, and we were jut talking about this th other day. Same with leaving them on the shoulder of a main road. I live on a standard two lane road, with a 45 mph speed limit. There are a few guys that plow around here that do tat. They plow the snow across the road, and instead dropping it into the ditch, they just leave it on the shoulder. Yeah,...real safe if a car has to veer over a bit for some reason, and hit one of these frozen piles that have the consistency of a large rock.
    Edit....RLM, you were posting at the same time I was...the "idiot" comment was of course not directed at you, either. :D
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  5. newhol plower

newhol plower Member

i don't know ontario law but i heard its not illegal to push snow across road as long as you get it over the curb or if no curb off the road. its still wrong. if their is a vacant lot across the road maybe in some situations its ok. what if they were going to build there in the spring then you may have created them a problem.
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Is there any pictures of this town or the streets?
  7. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

It's wrong and we ALL do it or certainly have done it in the past.

Lets be clear on that point.
  8. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

I hate when guys plow across the road or leave snow in the road. When I used to have a side job a guy there, also a landscape/plower, did it all the time. I told him it makes us all look bad, he said he didn't care. NICE attitude, azz h01e
  9. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

But to make that the norm is wrong.
  10. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Lets say the city wants to have private contractors switch over to snow blowing tractors, the city should subsidize every contractor who offers the service. Also because of that, the contractor should raise industry snow prices for residential clients to at least $ 500 for a driveway ( not including walkways ) & have a cap-off limit for snow accumulation. (example - after a 250 cm limit, its $35 per shot for blowing snow. The point is to start charging more for residential.

11. newhol plower

newhol plower Member

we have a pronovost blower rate at 150 horse with a hydro hood and telescopes up for loading dump trucks that one looks like the ultimate residential blower.blowing driveways with a blower isn't that hard on them they will last a long time but blowing old hard crusty banks with them is very high matnance and burns a lot of fuel.
    we need 6 remotes for our blower that one looks like 6 as well.
    i think the tractor ours is mated to in 125 horse conventional with front pto and front pto switching from blade to blower takes 7 mins 2 people 15 tops 1 person. the couplers are also quick release. the blower out the front is much easier on the neck
  12. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I think the point is, to leave the snow from each client on their own property. How you get it done is your problem. Charge accordingly, if you run out of room they will have to pay to have it removed. Understand that if each resident were to put their snow on the street, it would cause major problems. Cost more for the city to clean it up, therefore they will charge more taxes next year. On top of that it is illegal. So to keep things fair, kept on your own property.
  13. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

In Ottawa, for residential streets they cut the banks with a snowblower machine & simply blow the snow onto the properties where the lawn areas are. It wouldn't make any sense to truck the snow away?:dizzy: No wonder "borough" is finding it really expensive! They've already done this twice now in Ottawa for all resi hoods! This city service is standard for all the taxes we pay, & of course they need to do this because streets always get narrow.

14. newhol plower

newhol plower Member

in waterloo they blow the main routes only. 3 times for sure. where lawn is available it goes there and when not it goes into trucks. the expressway has sound barrier wall they have blowen that into dump trucks twice this year. we had 2 big snowfall in 2 days 2 weeks ago and downtown roads are still packed with dump trucks every night full of snow. im sure the dump truck drivers are making a killing.
  15. A Man

A Man Senior Member

We rarely push snow onto or across streets but from my understanding of the law you cannot push snow from private property on to the street. Something to keep in mind is where the property line is. Most of the time the inside of the city sidewalk is close to or is the property line, which in turn means that the snow from that point out to the road is on city property, no law against moving snow from city property onto city property, just a thought, technically I don’t even think contractors are allowed to plow that snow unless under contract with the city. Just a thought, not at all saying we should stop plowing the entrance ways of our customers
  16. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

hummm A lot of property lines are actually out in the street some where..

Mine is in the middle of the street...

Thats why the city asses a tax/fee to the home owner when they repave your street.
  17. A Man

A Man Senior Member

Interesting, I'm fairly sure that isn't the case here as minimun typical road alloance is 66' or 20m.
  18. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

If you look at a drawing or aerial photo detailing property lines, most property owners street frontage property lines are to the middle of the street. Most city’s have easements based from the center line of the road back to your property around 30’ or basically to the edge of the sidewalk if there is one. You own it, you are taxed on it, and you have to mow and shovel it. But if they want to tear it up they can.

I drive through a neighborhood getting to one of the areas I plow. It is all middle income cookie cutter houses. All of the husbands are up in the a.m. with there toro snow blowers clearing the driveways. They all blow the snow into the street. One day I drove by with my cell phone camera and took pictures of all of them doing it. I’m waiting to email them to the city.

It is very un-professional if you can’t figure out how to stack the snow on the person’s property correctly without pushing it across the street.
  19. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

BY-LAW No. 530-1999

5.Moving Snow onto Streets

(1)No property owner, occupant, or other person shall move or permit to be moved snow or ice from private property onto a highway, sidewalk or laneway.

The bylaw says your are not to move snow onto a highway..... but it doesnt explicitely say you can not move it accross the street. I know because of the size of my truck on many of our homes I have no choice really but to move snow across the street. However, when I do this i make sure any snow I place accross the street is raised over the curb and I clean any trails that I have caused accross the street. I make sure the street looks as clean as it was before I got there. In some cases when we are there before the plow, the street infront of my customers home is the only part of the street that is clean.

Like I said, if I can place the snow on my clients lawn then I do but sometimes I just cant. But I transfer the snow in the neatest most professional way I can.

Just my $0.02
  20. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

You can do what you want. I'm not the one that will get the ticket or get hit by a driver on the street. But when you "move snow across the street" at some point is the snow "onto a highway, sidewalk or laneway"?

The laws are there to protect you and other drivers from getting hit. It has nothing to do with giving the snow to the neighbor or the city.