1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dont fall

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowman777, Dec 10, 2005.

1. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

i fell on ice today and broke a bone in my hand and chipped another in my finger.

after the hospital a friend helped me finish thankfully

it was at a former customers house whom i hadnt been to in 3 yrs and he(or i) didnt clear the last 2 inch storm cuz he didnt call me(this was an issue prior to our 3 year separation so i know he doesnt like small amounts cleared) wasnt even sure he would call like he said end of last season...so there was packed down snow and ice from him driving on it.

anyway, i was jogging back to the truck all happy i just finished and it happens very fast...so do not run or even jog at anytime while plowing!!

also thinking about some kind of carbide chips to implant in my boots.,.i have fallen before on steep drives and i wanted to do that before this

anyone use any kind of ice grips with their boots?!??

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Ouch!! I fell yesterday, too. Snow had covered ice from runoff. Fell on my arm under my ribs. Just sore ribs, but still hurt today. Worst part - It was on my own place and I knew the ice was there. I've tried the cleats that strap on shoes but didn't really like them.

3. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

maybe crampmons are the answer...i was think a sole like the green diamond tires would be neat

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Anybody know of a shoe/boot with grit on the sole? Seems like it would be better for walking than the cleats.

Maybe a great idea for an inventor type?

5. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

i have found everything i try to "invent" has already been done ...but i have never seen these boots..maybe the time has come..i have seen slip on rubbers with the grit bottoms ,had to go into nyc to get them for my dad as a present.

would wreak havoc on floors!!

6. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

These boots are 394 bucks. But they do grip ice pretty well. Made for mountain climbing. Only reason I knew of these is because I actually know a guy that paid the 400+(tax+shipping+cost) to have a pair. He has had them about 1 year and worn them twice that I know of but they still are stored in the box with the paper like new.

Here

I bought my wife some of those Yaktrax things when she delivered papers a few years ago. They are the ones that slip over the shoes you are wearing. They cost about 20 bucks or so then I am not sure but I think from looking at the site quickly they are about 32 now. Not sure if they are the exact of what i got but they look pretty good. This site also has a few other listings I am thinking of maybe getting myself for the same purpose that you stated.

Yaktrax

7. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

i just bought the yaktrax..thanks!

8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

One of the Green Diamond webpages showed shoe soles....

9. bwilder10h

bwilder10h Junior Member

I took at spill in a customers lot Friday morning around 3:00am. Glad no one was around to see it.

Nothing hurt but my pride. :rolleyes: Thank the Lord.

I gotta get some golf spikes in these boots or something.

10. phatsat67

phatsat67 Junior Member
    from indiana

Fell and busted the knuckle this weekend. Only thing I had in the truck to hold the blood was a mcdonalds togo bag haha.

11. nekos

nekos Senior Member

this may sound weird but it is true ... learn how to fall !!!

after years of snowboarding , racing BMX , skateboarding , roller blading , foot ball, hockey and a few other some what dangerous sports... i learned a few things about falling. #1 rule is , DO NOT EVER try and brace your self from a fall with your hand's . the bones in your hand's , wrist and arms can not take the wight of a fall . allways try and land on your back or side.

anyway i hope ya get better soon , believe me i know what a ***** it is to break a hand !!!

12. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

yep shoulders are the best way to land....... if u can!@!! hard when we are talking fractions of a second

Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  13. nekos

nekos Senior Member

it alway's apply's . if you don't try and brace your fall with your arms you wont break um :p
    maybe it's instinct , maybe it's just the fact i have had more then my fair share of fall's. my arms alway tuck into my body when i start losing my balance.

oh BTW , i love skier's !!! i get such a good laugh watching them pull there head out of the snow then walk half way back up the hill to collect there ski's and poles after they crash :D

14. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

Nothing personal man but that's the worst advice I've ever heard.:nono: Putting your hands out to stop a fall is instinct. Your body is trying to protect your most vital part (your head). The bones in your hands and arms are easily repaired. But your brain can't be repaired! You can get back in your truck after a broken hand. You can't get back in your truck after you've broken your hip or after a concussion. I have several relatives who've worked in the E.R . and will tell you so.
    I'm a carpenter and falls are pretty common on the jobsite. I've learned to take a spill and have never been injured beyond a severe bruise (and that was from my hammer). I also fall every winter while out plowing. I think the best advice here is to be cautious on ice, just like when you're driving!:nod:

15. NDdude

NDdude Junior Member

I use the Yaktrax Pro when I'm at work, keep my feet plenty secure on the icy parking lot and best of all they are easy to put on and take off so you don't have to wear them while your driving your rig!

16. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Can you sue yourself for slipping on one of your own managed properties?

17. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

yea if u have a helmet on..u can tuck ur arms in ;;;otherwise could crack your head open

18. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

dunno but i will ask the lawyer customer where i fell if i have a case!

19. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Wanna learn how to fall? Tune into the WWE for about 5 mins or so... watch carefully.

20. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I have noticed that since I have gotten older and 50 lbs heavier, falling is much different than it used to be. I remember I would slip on the ice, and have time to try to catch myself, windmill my arms like a cartoon, then fall to the ground putting out my arms to brace myself. Now before I even know I'm falling I find myself laying down looking up at the sky wondering how I got there. The other day I slipped off a wet trailer, I fell so fast it was like a speeding train knocked me over, I mean it was instant! And it hurts more now, and I actually worry about breaking bones, where I didnt when I was young and in shape and less fat. Falling really sucks now.

As to the traction thing, anybody ever tried running a few 1/4 inch self tappers into the soles? I have often thought about trying it, I know guys who used to do it on the ATV tires for winter riding, made a big difference on the ice. I bet that even just a couple at the heel would work, that's usually where you lose grip and your foot shoots out from under you. I know that FedEx issues their drivers some of those slip on rubber booties that go over your shoe and have little metal cleats underneath, I was told they work great, and I bet it saved FedEx a bunch of money in the long run, too.