1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

don't drive on lakes!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by capt.craig, Mar 4, 2004.

1. capt.craig

capt.craig Junior Member

hope this hasn't been posted yet

this hasn't been posted yet!

ice bridge1.jpg
  2. capt.craig

capt.craig Junior Member

picture 2 of ice hyw. not sure where this is as it was Emailed to me

ice bridge5.jpg
  3. BigZ1001

BigZ1001 Junior Member

Isn't that the ice road that they run during the winter that crosses numerous lakes? They take supplies to remote areas I think. That's what those guys do for a living.
  4. badranman

badranman Senior Member

I'll bet the driver is headed off to buy a new pair of pants because he must of ruined the ones he was wearing!
  5. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

The ice doesn't look that thick to me
    I wonder how they got it outta there :confused:
  6. blk94fiveoh

blk94fiveoh Junior Member
    from MN

I saw a show on these trucks that run across frozen lakes to deliver to remote areas, like bigz said.

The recovery process is very expensive, and often times it is driver error that causes them to break through. The risks are high, but these drivers make quite a bit of money.

There was a big snomobile show up here a few years ago during a mild winter where I believe about 50(?)semis went through a lake where they were parked...needless to say alot of money was lost on that break through. They had to call in a crane and other heavy equipment to recover all the trucks.
  7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

a guy name John Dension started that buisness to move goods to remote sections of Canada
  8. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

They blast the ice with explosives, in order to lift it out. Wouldn't you love to be a diver on the recovery crew? I'd rather be the diver than the driver. At least on this one.
  9. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

I watched that same show. Their called ice truckers. That truck doesnt look like the ones on the show though. They were modified with bigger tires and heavyer axles. Plus they towed more then one trailer. The biggest cause for breakthroughs they said was the sonic vibrations from the truck. It echoes of the bottom of the lake and bounces up. When the vibrations are to much the ice is weakend and when a truck is on the weakend ice well you see the product.
  10. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I thought that was the actual truck they showed them removing on the show. Whichever, they were able to do it without causing a leak, for environmental reasons obviously.
    I missed the part about the sonic vibrations. I think the waves are also generated by the truck coming on to the ice too fast from the shoreline, and are magnified as the depth increases( like a waterbed, I guess).Than after reaching the other side and coming back they collide and damage the ice.
    Standing on a lakeshore and hearing the ice crack is an awesome experience. Frightening when you're crossing it I'm sure.
    Seeing the explosives was really neat. It wasn't what I expected, more muffled, short blast.
    I think I'd rather drive road trains in Austrailia
  11. 2004F550

2004F550 Senior Member

Yea John Denison...I have a book he wrote about his experiences on the ice road over the years. They called his road "Denison's Ice Road".......I'll stick to solid ground myself.
  12. capt.craig

capt.craig Junior Member

Interesting fact about the sound waves . I run the pilot boat out of Port Colborne taking local pilots out to the foreign freighters. I once had the opportunity to come from Detroit to Port Colborne on lake Erie. Something I didn't realize at the time was that the freighters can't get up to cruising speed till they get to southeast shoal where the water gets deeper . In the shallow water off Detroit (about 35 ft to 50 ft deep) the boat vibrates way to much because of the depth of the water.

ice bridge3.jpg
  13. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I have plowed off the ice on a lake in NH before. While the ice was more than safe and there were many others on it, it still makes me a little nervous! All it takes is one thin area of ice and the truck is going under:dizzy: the only time i would drive on the ice is if it has been real cold in jan in my area (boston area). Otherwise in northern new england jan-feb and some of march would be ok. I can see driving on the ice regualrly in northern canada but, In the populated areas its really never necessary to drive on the ice, its something you do for convience that could turn into a real inconvience.
  14. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Looks like one hell of a situation. That was a good show on ice truckers. I can't remember if it was on Discovery or History Chanel. The History Chanel has a great special on this week on the working man.
  15. blk94fiveoh

blk94fiveoh Junior Member
    from MN

It is a convience thing...mostly for ice fishing here. It is not uncommon to drive on the ice until mid april in northern minnnesota. (at least during an average winter)There are lakes that have roads plowed on them to enable fishermen to get to their ice shacks on the larger lakes.

But these semis weight a heck of alot more than your average pickup.