1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dont buy salt from this company! Thieves

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Burkartsplow, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

:gunsfiring:Maggiores Public Salt
    2927 Harrisburg RD. NE
    Canton, OH 44705

On 10-28-09 I drove 65 miles down to canton from cleveland to purchase 3 pallets of salt from the above company. I reffered to them by a friend who bought some product a week before and was happy with it. The price was good at $3.55 a 50lb bag of morton safe t salt compared to $4.25 up here in cleveland at other distributors. I drove down and purchased the 3 skids and headed back up north to the shop. Got the shop and unloaded 2 of the skids. I got to the third skid and unwrapped it and 40 or so of the bags were rock solid. I called them back within 3 hours of purchasing the product and told them about the bad skid of salt. I spoke to Tim one of there managers and he said you will exhange it. I told him it is not worth it for me to drive back down for one skid of salt. 130 mile round trip. he said no problem we have truck load run up there a lot and we will stop by and switch out the skid for you. I am like no problem let me know when we can set up a time. I think to myself this is all set. The next day they call to ask for the batch number of the skid to tell mortons about the bad salt. I find the number and hand it over to them. the number is 12-08 3468-4499. I dont hear anything back from them for a week. I call on thrusday 11-5-09 to ask what is going on. The owner of the company an old lady gets on the phone and proceeds to tell me that I did not buy that salt from them, they they had no salt on there property from 12-08, and they they will not refund the salt or exchange it. She is looking at my invoice which states I bought 3 skids of salt and called within 3 hours of buying the skids to report the bad salt. She said without a doubt that salt did not come from our lot. She seems to believe I had it left over and was trying to get a free skid of new salt from her. She would not listen to any reasoning and put her lot manager on the phone. He then also proceeded to tell me that there was no 08 salt on the lot. He also said he remembers me coming in an picking up the salt and having his guys help load the pallets on my truck and trailer. At this point I am thinking how do you not beleive me thsi is from your place. They both still deny it, Pretty much call me a liar and hang up on me. They did hang up on me. I have a reciept and the bad product on a pallet. When they loaded me with salt they drove to the back of the lot and got the salt. there was 100 skids of salt right next to my truck but they drove all the way to the back to pick it up. The old stuff I believe. Well i talked to another manager the first one who said they would switch it out and siad they will not since they claim they did not have any 08 salt on there property. I talked to the owner again yesterday and she yelled at me for 3 minutes on speakerphone in front of 2 of my employees as witnesses and said never to call again and dont ever come back to buy salt. She said if I come down there she will call the sherrif. 1 hour later I got a call from the sherrif.:laughing:. Well long story short they are crooks and all they want is your money and after they the tell you to go F yourself pretty much. Horrible customer service and the thing is they got on the defeensive first over the whole subject which in most cases leads to knowing of fault. Sorry for the long story, but I called mortons and they are looking into it. I am calling the better business bureau, Action five new investigative reporters and filing a small claims case against them and after everything is said and done what would have cost them $100 in salt is going to cost them close to $1000payup for the product and my time and defemation of character for calling me a liar. Thanks for the rant and I will keep you guys updated.
  2. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

i was upset that i didnt get my salt at that good of a price, but those people sound like losers. ill make sure to tell everyone i know not to to buisness with those people!
  3. vengeanceent

vengeanceent Junior Member
    from Ohio

Go get em!

Guess the drive and the savings isn't always the best!
  4. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Wow I've never had that happen. ya right , I got a skid of salt that was hard as a rock . but, never ever would the place NOT take it back than give me new. It happens but if they make it right than all is good. What did the cop say ?

You need to stay away from them just let the courts do their job. Don't let them get off the hook . I paid $180 per skid . but I know if I have a bag of soild they will replace it .
  5. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Aaron, they sound like real scum bags about the hole thing, I hope it all works out for you.
  6. Burkartsplow

The cop was like I cant believe they dont just refund the product and keep a paying customer happy in this economy. He just wanted to make sure I was not going to do anything illegal. I just laughed and said you will not have to worry about it. He was okay and was like I am done with this now and good luck with the BBB, which I just filed and the small claims court. They are rude people and my buddy Tony got a taste of it also when he called to complain about there customer service. Mortons seems to be a big help and they are going to track and see where that skid went to. So hopefully they find it out and it points right to public salt. :salute:
  7. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Well that sucks big time man!!!! They definitely need put in their place, and the courts/BBB are a good way to get them. Bet they wont ever complain about a pallet of salt after the courts get done with them!!!
  8. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

subscribing :popcorn:
  9. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

10. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Keep us updated!
  11. Burkartsplow

I will for sure. I say that this whole proces could be over by tuesday once I hear back from mortons or if it goes all the way to court it will be about a month.
  12. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

F#ck them people
  13. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

Burkartsplow, if you need bagged salt there is a fertilizer plant only 15 min. from the sh@@ hole Public salt that we use and it is good stuff post your contact and I can give you there number
  14. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i would think this would be easily reconciled once Morton gets the batch # and links it to orders placed and deliveries made?
  15. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

ahhhhhh....I buy from both the Fertilizer store (Hoopes) and Public Salt..I have had rock hard salt from Hoopes but never public...it doesn't surprise me they are @$$holes down there in that neighborhood....keep us posted
  16. GatorDL55

GatorDL55 Senior Member

Call The Troubleshooter, Joe Pagonakis!!!!
  17. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I don't see what the big deal is, it's like a big of ice through it on the ground a few times, and dump it in the hopper, good as new.
  18. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't see how they can argue it when you have a reciept from them.
    i'm assuming that it's dated with payment, etc.
    Oh well, drag them through the mud......I've always had good luck with the BBB and what they can do for you and your rights. That's a good idea getting them involved.
  19. Burkartsplow

I did throw a couple of bags on the ground to see if it would break up, and it broke up into 5 big chunks. The thing is I paid good money for bagged dry salt and I should not have to do that. It is was not a big deal until they took the defensive and called me a liar. It is a matter of principle now and I am not one to take something like this laying down. They are going to pay and after I prove them worng I am going to smile and when I get my check from them I am going to send them a nice little thank you note in the mail with a picture of me cashing the check.:redbounce
  20. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

you mean there will be a video too