1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Don't but the new sl3 lights yet!

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by ajracing81, Nov 6, 2015.

1. ajracing81

ajracing81 Member

So just got our new plow with these lights on it. There bright witch we love but something with the new lights most screw with the radio every thing is fuzzy. We tried it on all of our trucks with the same result. Dealer is trying to figure it out and called boss and they told him he's on his own to figure it out. Lights are great but for the extra money you should not have problems like this. I would rather at this point have a radio that gets all the usual stations and go back to the old lights!

2. Mark Klossner

Mark Klossner Sponsor

Ajracing81- sorry to hear of this problem. One thing I can assure you, BOSS did not and would not tell a dealer he is "on his own" to figure out an issue. Please continue to work with your dealer so that we, through him, can fix any issues you may be having. We appreciate you buying a BOSS and we will back you and our dealer up!

3. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

How would changing lights interfere with the radio, unless they got hooked up in a way causing them to steal power?

4. RIRAM2500HD

RIRAM2500HD Senior Member
    from 02914

Thanks for the info. I'll wait a year or two so they can work the bugs out by then.

5. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

To late, getting installed this week. :mad:

6. ajracing81

ajracing81 Member

No clue had on a 2016 f550 and 2 Chevy 2500hds same thing on them all.

7. ajracing81

ajracing81 Member

I want to say boss is helping with this problem 100percent I was miss informed! Sorry for the confusion.
    Theses lights are bright and will be nice this winter to plow with.

8. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Does anyone have 2 way radios in their trucks? Do the lights effect that too? I'd be lost without our radios

9. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

There should be something you could add to the circuit to reduce the noise if thats what it is. If the 2 way radio is wired to the vehicle power then i would assume the noise would be there too.

10. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

I am going to guess it is the Ice Shield, and might have something to do with the voltage regulation to the grid or the LEDs.
    The heater grid on the lights has possibly become a small transmitter.

11. ajracing81

ajracing81 Member

It's not the defroster on the lights causing it because it was above freezing.

12. RIRAM2500HD

RIRAM2500HD Senior Member
    from 02914

I'll keep the stock lights on my 2015 Super Duty for now until this gets worked out.

13. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

So far these lights are awesome. Plowed with them this weekend. Best light I have ever used including the stock headlights.

14. JK-Plow

JK-Plow Senior Member

The lights may not have the proper resister for the LEDs. Feniex Lights has a video on their lights and shows the need for a resister. I remember the old Whelen lights from the 70's had noise caused by their strobes. Eventually they got it fixed. I suspect that is the problem with the lights causing the interference with the radio equipment.

15. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

who uses the normal radio? lol

We have one with them already that we'll try out before it snows, just to see what all the fuss is about.