1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Don't beat me like a redheaded stepchild

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by zipp5, Nov 7, 2003.

1. zipp5

zipp5 Junior Member

Please be gentle:D . I am going to spread salt on the sidewalks for residentials and use a drop spreadder.
    What would you recommend using. I'm so confused:dizzy: by reading all the different apps. used. What works best and is cost effective?? Walks are around 15'-20' long, and some have steps going up to the door. Any non-confusing solutions will be very helpful:D .

2. Clean Cut Lawns

Clean Cut Lawns Banned

what are the walks made of?

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Zipp,

I use water softener Solar Salt. Never had any problems with grass or messing up the concrete.:waving:

4. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

Getting the spreader out of the truck at each house is more trouble than its worth. I would get a large coffee can and sprinkle it on by hand.

5. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Try and see if you can find a hand-held spreader, if your deicer will work with it.

Rick

6. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

A drop spreader probably isn't a very good idea. imo

7. Hey now!
    What's wrong with a redhead? ;)

8. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

I have red hair too.

9. zipp5

zipp5 Junior Member

Plow Grrl ---- Redheaded women are the most beautiful women there are----IMO!:D

Micah79 ---- Never thought about hand spreading it, especially with a coffee can. THANKS!!:salute:

The Boss ---- I have never heard of using solar salt. I always thought that you had to use other chemicals or other kinds of salt.

Anyone ever hear of using sugar! Someone told me about 3 or 4 weeks ago to use sugar. Said that it takes less per sq. ft. to melt ice and snow than does salt or chloride.

Clean Cut Lawns ---- About 96% are concrete, 2 are flagstone, and the rest pavers or brick?? Does that make a difference as to what to apply?

Thanks for the help:)

10. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

I use a Scotts broadcast speader for drives & walks with magic coated salt for both.

I put side deflectors on the spreader using vinyl soffit material.
    The vinyl is attached to the sides of the spreader with spring loaded cabinet hinges. In the down position it works great for walks. Little to no over throw. In the up position it throws a nice wide pattern for drives. You can also just put one side down and use as an edger.

I have used the same spreader for the past 3 years. Just rinse out after using it.

Spreader $40........Vinyl $4.50 (10' lenth)..... hinges $4

Works great for all walks, drives & small lots. It ain't pretty but works like a champ.

Mark

11. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

sugar? never heard of that. i spread it by hand, fastest and easiest for sidewalks of small proportion.
    dan