1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Done w/ Sno Way!

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by g.moore, Jan 20, 2008.

1. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

I have been running my 8' 24 series for 2 winters now and come spring it's going up for sale. From full up blade drops in 5 minutes, lift cylinders needs replaced $250, controls now working when they want to $225-$350. So to get it back up and 100% I'm gonna have to drop about $500 which isn't going to happen. I rigged the controls so they work about 80% of the time which should last me the winter then it's gonna be a Meyer, Fisher or Northman something I can at least get parts for without taking a 2nd out on my house. When it's worked it's been a nice blade but I just can't justify the $$ and time to keep it operating.

2. mnormington

mnormington Senior Member

PM me know when you want to sell it. I'll make you an offer.

3. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Just my 2 cents- Could it be that you are not running the proper model Sno-Way plow for what you are doing? The 24 series is considered a light commercial plow. Also we never produced a 24 series with an 8' blade. 7'6" is the largest 24 series model that we ever offered. I have read plenty of posts that you have made about the boulders and such that you encounter when you're plowing. In this type of abusive environment you don't have the right tool for the job. I am sure that if you put some other manufaturers plow on that is considered light commercial you will see just as many if not more problems that you currently have. JMO

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  4. 03SuperCrew330

03SuperCrew330 Member

A light commercial plow in Colorado!!! Yikes!! :jester:

5. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

prolly saved a couple bucks in the beginning...jmo which doesnt mean much...lol

6. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

just my opinion... If you are looking to sell your plow that is fine by a meyer, northman, or fisher Is not the answer you will have just as many if not more look into the newer snoway models like the 29 or 32 series in my opinion it is the best plow on the market

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I have 2 of the 24 series plows and they work great.Been using them commercially since I got them. With proper maintenence and used correctly they are the best plow on the market. Driver mis-use will cause ANY brand of plow to have problems. JMO

8. vwovw

vwovw Senior Member

dam snoway plows. i can't believe it. I noticed today that i broke my lexan or whatever that cheap stuff is. plus it started to whine today.

9. vwovw

vwovw Senior Member

well i agree they are expensive to repair. I've had mine for six years now and i finally broke the lexan. Changed hydraulic fluid and cleaned screen works great again. I have a wireless controller that is a little slow and some time loses wireless connection. that sucks. but they are light weight, stack high and have down pressure. Find me another plow that is similar and i'll try it. I have no more loyalty to them as they do for me. I just need these features my truck and i. I would use the 24 on small or tight residential or commercial drive threw. jmo:nod:

10. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

No matter what your running in heavy commercial use it's going to break down pure and simple! That's no reason to speak badly on the plow manufacturer

11. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

OK, it all comes down to $$. I demand the plow push 2"-4' of snow on class 9 (the worst you can get) dirt roads, yes this is very punishing to the plow and yes another brand is going to get beaten and broken too. But with the Sno Way I have to either drive 2 hrs to deal with Hiniker or spend 2 hrs hunting on the web then wait a week hoping it doesn't snow until my parts arrive. Whereas with the other 3 I can run to Napa or Carquest and get 90% of the parts that make up the plow.
    When the controls started acting up I was just going to modify a Western control ($25) to run it and add a switch for down force. Then the lift cylinder happened which was the icing on the cake for me, I lost all 3 (both angle's and the lift) on my Meyer last winter (42 years old) it cost me $65 in parts, 45 minutes to pick them up and 5 hrs rebuilding them (42 years of crust). Whereas with the Sno Way it was $250 for a new cylinder or $250 for a new cylinder, there is no seal kit option that either the online dealers or Hiniker would sell me.
    In all honesty if I could get just a seal kit and and the odds and ends that I have had to repair with bailing wire, duct tape and my MIG for less than $250 I would consider keeping it (but knowing what parts run I'm pretty confident that will never happen). I have added a cold rolled steel mold board which can take a hell of a hit with no damage, a 6" wear bar that cuts packed snow like butter and a couple of extra braces on the lift frame which helped it dig in better when down force was on so all the class 9 road weak points are taken care of whereas I'm going to have to start from the beginning with a new blade. Oh well, live and learn. Had a feeling there was a reason I only saw 1 Sno Way, 1 Curtis and 500 Western's, Meyer's, Fisher's and Northmen up here. Parts availability. Seems like if you're in WI, MN, MI, etc dealers are a dime a dozen and willing to help but out here good luck getting anything (parts or service).

12. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

go fisher.:D

13. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

exmark 1, as I've stated the 1/2 mile of road I plow is hideous. There isn't a plow out there that will hold together reliably in the conditions I run in. The problem is the qty of parts that break vs the cost of those parts to replace. Our development used to have a plow truck pushing a Meyer, broke just as often as mine but cost 1/2 as much to fix. I can guarantee I could run the best blade Sno Way, Fisher, Western, Meyer, etc has to offer and they are all going to break down just as frequently. When you hit something with a large rock long enough it's going to break, don't matter who made it and there are alot of large rocks I hit in that 1/2 mile.
    The points I'm trying to make are
    1)why can I build 3 Meyer hydraulic cylinders for $65 and I can't even do 1 on the Sno way for less than $200?
    2)There is also a massive lack of dealer support and willingness to help (We don't sell that, who's next in line?)
    3)Also, the quality thing doesn't cut it, a hydraulic cylinder takes the same parts no matter who makes it.

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

But I agree the aftermarket has not jumped on the snoway band wagon. Buyers (SAM) started carrying the lift cylinder, shoe, wear edges, and a few other items this year. Add that to the durability factor (unless as in you're case it's being used in replacement of a track loader :DLOL) few spare parts hit EBAY.

15. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

I forgot about you Basher! You have been a great help in the SW learning curve and are a wealth of information. I just wish you were alot closer so I would have easy parts access and a dealer who actually gave a damn.

16. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

What dealers are you working with that do not provide you with the support that you expect? Since I cover this territory for Sno-Way I have a personal interest. Shoot me a PM and lets talk about this.

17. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

Basher, how much is the rebuild kit for the Ram and could you FedEx?

18. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Hey VWOVW....I got 2 replacement lexan moldboards for $160 shipped to me. PM me and I will give you info on how to contact the guy. He sells them on Ebay.
    The ice this year is terrible on the lexan.

19. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

you keep talking about dealers referring to hiniker of course they are not going to care about your snoway plow they will want to sell you a new one get with tom and he will set you up with a dealer that will care!...

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You've got a PM