1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Done Snowing??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jason Pallas, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas Senior Member

That's it - I'm packing away the plows, putting away the shovels and snow blowers and getting the lawn equipment out. I'm convinced that after 2 measley snowfalls (2" each and quickly melting), there's no more snow to be had this summer - errrr I mean ..... winter. It is winter isn't it? It's 50 degrees today - with mid forties forecasted for the next week. This is pitiful. I hope this post completely jinxes me and it snows like hell in Feb.

My only solace is that all those part-timers that flood the market with low-ball prices are probably getting killed right now. Too many people ran out last year and bought plows in January after we had 12 events in December. Thinking it was easy money, I'm sure they're scrambling to make payments on that equipment now. Oh well - us oldtimers know that sometimes it's feast or famon and when it's feast time....... you better put away a little for the lean times too.

Praying for snow:)
  2. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Fill in your location.:rolleyes:
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

yeh, it would be easier to post if you had a location. as far as putting the plows away, here in the northeast they have been saying to hold on a little longer. the next week should be mild, but after that the pattern will change again, with a good chance of some snowstorms.
  4. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Ditto mdb. Some long range forecasts I read said that after this couple of week warm spell, the latter part of February should get real cold. Then all we have to do is hope for some moisture to come in, unlike when it was cold in December.
  5. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

Done Snowing I dont think so I have been out 8 times so far this year 6 in the last month the storms are only leaving 3-4 inches but everyone wants there driveway plowed. Feb and Mar are the months I look forward to seems we always get a nor'easter or 2 then.
  6. tovoninc

tovoninc Senior Member

We just booked our spring break family vacation during the first week of April. You can bank on a blizzard in Ohio that week.
  7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Weather-wise, the winter season is less than half over. Dont throw in the towel yet-esp since I washed the truck today lol.

Heh. Yet another argument for seasonal contracts. You wont sign people up for em, guys, if you dont believe in them yourself.

maybe I should start a thread, "The zen of seasonal pricing" lol.
  8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I have been hearing about a pattern change ever since the 70 degree days of mid December. It hasnt happened yet, and i doubt it will. As long as the western US keeps getting storms, and a split jet stream, the rest of the US will have a light winter
  9. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

JasonPallas is in detroit michigan

I am probably the problem maker :eek:

I have 1/2 a yard of salt in my s~10
    and it is dirty as hell
    and my rotating light is still on the roof.

Go ahead and shoot me~NaTe
  10. Jason Pallas

Whoops - sorry my location used to be in my profile last year (I'm in Detroit/east suburbs). I think it got dropped when lawnsite and plowsite became separate sites.
    Hey - don't get me wrong, I'm not throwing in the towel. I'm just hoping to revervse the trend by posting the message. As a matter of fact I even washed the trucks today - heck it was 50 degrees - what else were we gonna do!!
    RE: Seasonal Contracts, most everybody around here wants to go "per push". Winters can be so flukey here - a couple of light snow winters really soured most people on seasonal rates. Of course a couple of winters like the past few - where we've averaged 12-15 pushes - would nomally help people warm back up to the seasonal contract idea. However, a winter like this (if it continues) will have everyone wanting "per push" contracts. Usually contracts run about $550 for 100 ft driveway. If we only get 2-3 snows of 2", the customers really complain about paying $250/time to get the snow cleared. They never remember the years that you got them out by 8 am when it snowed all night and the city was covered in 10" or the years that you were there 18 times in one winter. We've got approx 80 customers and - you guessed it, they all want a per time contract. Pray for Snow!!!
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2002
  11. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

You guys are Great !!! I realize this thread is a goof to try and get it to snow, but I think what makes it even funnier is that your banking on the weather guys saying the pattern is changing:rolleyes:
    Let me refer you to this thread, as to what everyone previously thought about the "weather guessers"

12. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I remember in my first day or two of looking around here finding a thread that had a link to some weather site that said we'd have a snowier than usual winter. It was a very detailed and scholarly analysis, and worth it's weight in fertilizer. (I don't do lawn care though...)
  13. Jason Pallas

True dat! It's done snowin' fer sure! (I hope that does it):D
  14. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

Jason: Seasonal contracts are an easier sell to commercial customers. Give them a shot, and ditch some of your more annoying resi's.