1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dome light ????????

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by thundercat99, Nov 25, 2004.

1. thundercat99

thundercat99 Senior Member

Here we go boys I have a 97 chevy 3500 blizzard 8-10 my dome light comes on by it self problem started a couple weeks ago then went away new problem when i raise my blade dome light comes on until i stop raising the blade, dint even no were to start?????????

need help
  2. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Sounds like the installer screwed something up.... It might be a ground issue... they are hard to figure out sometimes!!!
  3. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Look under the dash to see where they may have tapped in to a power source for the controller. Possibly, they hooked on to the wrong wire.

:D You didn't happen to apply a stainless skin to your moldboard that was salvaged from a refrigerater did you? :D
  4. thundercat99

i installed the plow it worked right for the past 2 seasons i think the harness is damaged were it goes through the firewall
  5. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

If you didn't grommet the hole through the firewall, you can apply BG electrical pug duct sealer around the wires to help seal it.

I would look at the door switches too. They may have corroded on the back side or a wire come loose and making contact from vibration while lifting the plow. I had that happen on my truck, causing the light to come on and stay on intermittently and drain the battery. Could it be that lifting the plow is causing enough flex in the body, that the door moves enough to effect the switch. Next time the light comes on try moving the door in its frame to see if it makes it go out.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2004
  6. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I am thinking a bad body to frame to battery ground here myself. Double check all your ground because my guess is that your installation is overdrawing its current return path somewhere and causing the lite to come on as it seek a new returm path. I have seen bad grounds do stranger things too. For what it is worth.
  7. thundercat99

thanks for the ideas

if i could just get some time to work on it id be set