1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Doing brakes on 05 Dodge 2500 4X4

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Easy, May 2, 2009.

1. Easy

Easy Senior Member

I am going to do a 4 wheel brake job on my 2005 Ram 2500 4X4. Are there any things such as "special" tools, pitfalls, or other problems I need to look forward to?
    I have done brakes on smaller vehicles in the past, but nothing 4 wheel drive.
    Any help or advise would be appreciated.
  2. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

Did you do your brakes yet? The only problem I had was where the pads slid into the caliper holder where bent and rotted from too much heat build up. A new set of glides and I was set. No big deal too do the job. My rotors were ALL undersized from the factory so I needed new rotors. Get ready to bend over and take it.
  3. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

If you need rotors check out ebay. you can get a good deal on a set of zinc plated rotors there compared to the dealer's price. If they only last half as long, so what because they only cost half as much and are a snap to install. But if they last just as long, then you are miles ahead =o)
  4. SpruceLandscape

I found 02-06 front and rear rotors in drilled, slotted or both, including zinc plating for $149 plus shipping on ebay
  5. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Well I guess I will ask....If given the choice, whats better....drilled, slotted, or both????
  6. SpruceLandscape

I used the drilled and slotted rotors on my 02 WRX from this company and also on my wife's 03 kia sorento. The sorento had about 60k on the rotors when we finally traded it in and they looked in pretty good condition still. The holes are to disipate heat, slots are to evacuate gases from the pads and also act to wipe the pads clean when braking hard. However, in my opinion, the slots will wear the pads a little faster.
  7. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 Senior Member
    from wooster

if you do your brakes let out the bleeder screw other wise it can mess up the ABS system when you push that fluid back through the caliper