1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

doing away with iso-module?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by grec-o-face, Oct 18, 2010.

1. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

With the stories about bad Isolation modules, is there an argument FOR or AGAINST deleting it? Can everything be swapped over to old-school 'relay-type' operation?

And Cons?

What exactly does the ISO Module do anyway? Just run lighting? Or more?

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

It primarily runs the lighting system; yes. Why would you want to replace it if it is working? Keep in mind on these later model trucks, you can't directly use an old school relay system.....That's not to say our resident geniuses or outside source couldn't master mind a way, however your opening the doors to a possible problematic system....one that will not only effect your plow, but more importantly, your truck. Do yourself a favor and keep them isolated...no pun intended.

3. grec-o-face

I see your point about isolating the truck from the plow. If something were to go wrong on the blade side, it wouldn't take the truck out with it.
    My main concern was avoiding a failure. The last thing I want to deal with is finding myself in the dark during a storm because of a failed Iso-module. It hasn't failed me yet, so I really have no reason to expect it - just being a little paranoid.

I have wired trucks to run lighting through relays and switches - but never a fisher / iso-mod set-up.

Guess I'll find something else to worry about... :dizzy:

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's seldom the Iso itself that causes problems. It's always in the wiring harness's instead.

5. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

The only Iso Mod failure i've seen personally was a complete melt down after it fell onto an exhaust manifold due to a piss poor install:nono:

In speaking with another dealer,he has only found one bad module and it was no good from the get go,brand new,i really wouldn't worry about it

6. grec-o-face

Cool guys. Thanks. I'm happy with those answers.

Now, with that said, is there a way to allow for both truck lights, and plow lights to function simultaneously?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not a problem with a relay. Trip it with the lows and tie it into the highs downstream of the Iso. Easy as pie and won't add any additional load to the Iso.

8. grec-o-face

I want to run the lows on the blade and the lows on the truck at the same time...

same proceedure, right?

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I deleted the Iso module on my Fisher XV on a 97 GMC. The change worked well for me. I used four relays, high and low, truck and plow. It was a fun project, but also an effective project. It did produce a tangible increase in lighting output, not just with the plow, but the truck side too. I took all the headlamp load off the headlight switch and dimmer, and added switchable dual-burn functionality.

As B&B mentioned, the lighting harnesses and connectors on the Fisher/Western gear can have some issues, I also eliminated all of those as a part of the project.

I didn't configure mine to run truck and plow lights at the same time, but somewhere have a nice schematic to set it up. Wasn't much value for it with the big plow on a fairly low-set truck.

Sorry, no pics.....:(

10. grec-o-face

That's where I think there's value for me - at least with the blade down -- Stock height 8' MM2 (just a rubber foil) and my F350 sits fairly proud with an add-a-leaf up front.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Also, I had the Intensifire lights, which are very good.

12. grec-o-face

I'm running the old style lights - but with HIDs. They're not bad, but more light is always a good thing - plowing mostly large commercial lots.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

For road use? Sure can but to the best of my knowledge it still isn't legal. Can't have both the truck and plow lights illuminated at the same time. Not that we're all 100% law abiding citizens 24/7 or anything. :D

14. grec-o-face

I'm a good boy most of the time.
    Preferably, I'd like to have the plow lights work normally, switching over to the blade as intended. Then have the ability to switch on the truck headlights ALSO as an option.

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Perfectly do-able, just add in a toggle with the relay.

16. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Only one plow head light works and no parking/turn signals. If I hit the high beams the one plow light goes dim and trips the "buld out" idiot light.

I hate electrical anything.

17. grec-o-face

I'm decently familiar with the operation of relays, but to be sure I don't fry anything truck-side; How would I wire it (involving the iso-module)??

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It'll be far easier to follow with a diagram rather than attempting to explain it via text so let me make you up a diagram. Easy as pie then.

Running a 3 or 4 port Iso?

19. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a couple bad ones hanging around One is burnt inside I have no clue why yet,:confused: Even though far more reliable then the old bosch style relays with all the exposed connections that u always see turn green I have changed more relays then iso mods.

20. grec-o-face

Sorry for the delay; I'm rocking a 4-port.