1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Doggy perf on CTD and ABS light on

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by szorno, Oct 8, 2003.

1. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Hi guys,
    My 19 year old son just bought a 94 Dodge 2500 CTD 5 spd with 225K mi. We drove it a couple times on essentially flat ground before buying and all was well. We now have 2 problems.
    1- the ABS dash light is on and we can't figure out anything wrong or how to reset it.

2- Performance on hills is doggy. Like the turbo quits about 2200 rpm. There is some sense of surging about that speed too. It is most noticeable climbing a long hill in 4th gear at about 50 mph. we did clean the K&N airfilter. no help.

Johnny D or Wyldman, any ideas??? Toolman??
    I know Dodge gas trucks but we are new to diesels.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

The ABS is all done through the data link connector under the dash.You need a scanner to get into the anti-lock module and pull codes.

You could try pulling the speed sensor out of the rear diff,and cleaning or replacing it.It is most likely the culprit.If it's not that,then just disconnect the ABS,as it's useless anyways.

The first thing I would do is to chop the catalytic convertor off it (if equipped),as it's probably plugged.Make sure the filters are in good shape too,as they will cause low power.

The 94's didn't have a real strong pump on them,so low power was a complaint sometimes.You could open up the pump,and slide the plate forward,or even better,put a new plate in it.It will make more power. :D

Adding a GSK,or govenor spring kit will help wake it up too.It extends the rev range before the govenor starts to defuel.Opening up the exhaust,and adding a BHAF,or big honkin air filter will take care of the airflow with your new found fuel.

If you want more detailed info on adding power,let me know.The only limit with a Cummins B series is how deep your wallet is :D
  3. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

With the miles I wouldnt be shocked it the cat converter was plugged.

I'm not sure about Dodge but my ABS in my chevy came on occasionally. Couldnt figure it out as the system seemed to be working fine. Turned out to be the axle seal poped off & somehow triggered the ABS system light.
    It may be something to check but again i'm not sure about dodges.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

no cats on a diesel

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Yes,they do have cats on the diesels.Not all,but most of them do.Stupid idea,never should have one in the first place.
  6. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

Regarding this statement:

There is some sense of surging about that speed too. It is most noticeable climbing a long hill in 4th gear at about 50 mph.

A sure thing is the possibility of the clutch slipping. This is where it will show up first. High geared, under load. Most noticeably while going up hill. This can also show up with just the truck and no load depending on the amount of slipage.

If the truck has a RPM Gage in the dash. Watch the needle the next time you notice the surging. If the needle increases while the truck is still at the same speed, you will need a clutch.

We just recently in-countered the same thing. Sure enough, the clutch was fried. :cry:
  7. szorno

szorno Senior Member

This is great ! Keep the thoughts coming. The tranny and clutch were replaced about 10K mi ago. I will watch the Tach, but I expect the surging to minimally be reflected there.
    Any other ideas...:confused: :confused:
  8. szorno

szorno Senior Member

OK,I checked this out. The tach is solid, the surging is at 2100-2200 rpm. Clutch is fine. The exhaust is a straight pipe (no muffler or cat). It is starting to look like the governor spring idea. Any other thoughts??:confused:
  9. wyldman

wyldman Member

I would try to diagnose the basics and fix the surging first,then add more power.

Change the fuel filter,and check for air leaks.Pay close attention to the fuel hoses up above the trans,and below the intake.They get dry rotted and will suck air.Add a shot of good fuel conditioner,and drive it for a tank or two.