1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Doesn't seem right. Please Help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chris k, Sep 18, 2003.

1. chris k

chris k Senior Member

So here is the deal. I have 2 lots that I need to get the bids in ASAP. One is a church and the other a self storage. Both are about 40,000 sq.ft. For the most part unobstructed.
    So I did the search and found that you would be able to plow these places (2"-4") in about an hour. Right? Now you take that and multiply by your rate $150? Now I stand back and look at these 2 lots going NO WAY. Now I know that you charge more for more snow but for a general 3" snow fall $150!!! What am I missing?
    Then I do another search about sanding. There were some that said a rough guess would be 75-90% of the plow bid. SO $112-$135? Doesn't seem right either.
    I have always done driveways and the little gas stations and am trying to inch my way into bigger stuff.
    I could pick up 4 more driveways, make the same money, and not have the headaches of dealing with the commercial property.
    Please help.:dizzy:

2. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

driveways

Thats why I stay with the driveways . If you keep the route nice and tight .I can do better than when I had a couple of lots thrown in.

3. chris k

chris k Senior Member

That's what I am thinking. I do 80 driveways in 5 hours with 2 trucks. Works out to about $200 per hour. Yah more driving not being in one spot but more money.
    I forgot to mention, the self storage will go for a season price including sanding. The church is either per push or by the inches (1-3 and so on).

4. Santo

Santo Banned

RE:Self storage- We had to relocate all the snow from 2 self-storage lots because they only had 15' roadway aisles,no where on that site could it be stacked.May want to keep that in mind.

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Thanks for the question Chris. I think what you are missing in the equation is two things.
    1- The self storage area wont be able to be plowed in that time frame. It will easily take 2-3x that long. We did two last year and it easily took 2-3 hr with a 3-6" snow fall. So that pricing will have to go up alot. plus you will need wither a blizzard plow, v plow, wings or a capture blade of some sort to move the to the end of the isles.
    2- How many driveways do you plow when 0-2" of snow fall? If the answer is only a few, than you can see where commercial plowing will make money when there isnt enough snow to plow driveways. Remember 2 years ago, how many times did you plow all season, maybe 1 time , and that was when Viniterie was kicking field goals in the snow storm.
    The sanding part of the equation was just a guideline, but with sand salt costing roughly 25-40.00 per ton, and on a 40000 sq ft lot you will be only using about 1/2-3/4 ton of material, and it will only take about 15 min with travel time to get the job done, that should prove to be very profitable. Not for nothing, the church could also be schedualed to get plowed after 9-10 am, so that it a nice extra 150.00 on the way home after all other plowing has been finished. Add the 150.00 and 135.00 together, and getting 285.00 for an hours work isnt to bad.
    Dino

6. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Dino! Nice to see you back from summer vacation.

That 1 acre per hour is a general guideline for wide open lots. A self storage lot is not a wide open lot in my experience. So like Dino & Santo posted, you have lot's of PIA pricing that goes with that lot. If your minimum is $200.00\hour then you would price the 1 acre lots at least $200.00 per push. IMO if you are not used to doing commercial work I wouldn't even consider bidding the self service lot & trying to determine a seasonal price on that type of PIA work.

7. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I feel that you can make good money plowing drives if they are right next too each other.but on the other hand if there is no snow you would make more with the commercial for these reason stated above sanding, plus you stay in one spot and are not driving all over.

8. Santo

Santo Banned

Cat makes an excellent point. I myself dont like running around town. Although it can be very lucrative.

9. chris k

chris k Senior Member

I have done commercial plowing.
    Plowking35- I actually have a Fisher V plow. As for the Viniterie field goal, I missed the whole game due to the fact the I sub out to the contractor the plows the stadium. I was there the entire game keepong the roads open.