1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Doesnt make any sense????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Eddie D, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Eddie D

Eddie D Member

I was on my way home last night and I stopped at a 24 grocery store with a large parking lot. There were two trucks in the lot plowing from a huge national snow plowing company. 1 truck was a flatbed dually with a plow the other was a 4 door flatbed dually with no plow just a salt spreader on the back. The 4 door was smart because they had the sidewalk crew in it but the part I do not understand is why not throw a plow on the truck?????

They were just sitting there waiting for the first truck to finish so they could salt (5 guys in the one truck).

This is a huge multi million dollar company that could afford to just throw a plow on it. I have seen other large companies that have trucks with salters only. Maybe they know something I dont but why not have the plow or at least a hook up for one. For no other reason than just in-case the other truck breaks down.

What am I missing????

2. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

its a possibility that the salt truck may have finished the last job early and ended up there before the plow finished.

3. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

Most likely it's a matter of GAWR. With that many guys in the truck, and the spreader the front axle would be overloaded with a plows added weight.

4. Eddie D

Eddie D Member

I did not post this to be critical of anyone but this is a Commercial snow plowing forum and I bring this up because this is a business for us and it may seem like a small but its business.

My point is more geared towards the past debates of having national companies vs smaller regional / local companies doing snow removal.

To Plowman for life and Abbert 55 I was not clear but these were 450 - 550 series trucks. Real heavy duty and the salter was only an 8'. A plow on the front probably would have helped with ballast. The salt truck should go out with one man like 3 Am. BTW I don't think they were subcontractors because the trucks had the company name on them.

This company was listed in Snow Magazine as making $74 million last year from snow removal. I am no were near that but if I saw 1 of my guys and a truck doing 2 hours worth of plowing and 1 of my trucks with 5 guys in it to do 20 minutes worth of work and sitting waiting for the other truck I would go ballistic and fire the supervisor.

If most are charging between $100 to $180 an hour this company had 2 $50,000 trucks 6 guys at a minimum of $10.00 per hour plus workers comp maybe $15 to $20 per hour per man. Thats $90 per hour minimum. Add gas, insurance, rent, phone bill and its has to cost them another $20 to $30 per hour per truck.

For anyone who is worried about the national companies moving in I guess you should invite them in and just wait them out until they run out of money.

IMO I would have had two trucks with plows and spreaders with 3 guys in each doing separate lots.

Maybe I should mind my business and thats probably why I will never do 75 million a year in business.

Any thoughts???

5. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Unionized labor?

6. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I would not lose sleep over it.:rolleyes:

7. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Maybe the salt truck also is transporting the shovel crew.

If they had finished the walks and the plowing/salting was not done what would you have them do?

Drive to the next job and drop off the shovel crew and drive back to salt then drive back to pick up shovel crew again?

I always worry about what I do and don't pay much attention to what others do I guess.

What always gets me is 5 or 6 subs lined up window to window on a big lot taking one of many breaks.

I see this much more then what you describe.

When I am out I plow alone and carry my own food/coffee/juice. I do not stop till the last lot is plowed.

I see many guys (subs) parked and talking or whatever wasting time.

I ain't paying em so I don't care but they are taking more money from somebody then some shovel crew sitting in a truck drying off.

8. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

well, at least you know you should be able to underbid them considerably next season and pick it up yourself.

if they can afford to have one guy just sitting there the whole time, obviously it's overbid.

9. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

He will. :rolleyes: