1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does this sound reasonable?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by beanz27, Dec 3, 2013.

1. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I am subbing for a guy, just want to make sure my numbers sound ok. Tell me what you guys think.

Blue is plow always, yellow is as needed/on call. Walks shoveled and icemelt applied if needed in normal plow price. 2" trigger, though if anymore then 1 1\2" they call me out.

20 miles out of my way but gotta start somewhere. Thanks guys!

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

20 miles? Sounds like you should be making 36.59 per hour on that job.

3. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Not all of us work for free lol. Pic didnt go through. I`ll put it up on the computer later.

4. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Your being generous.

Should be $29.99 per hour payup

5. grandview

Well there is a labor shortage up that way,so now you need to pay more.:realmad:

6. snowpro44

snowpro44 Member

I sub for 80% of my work.@ 2inch. triggerss..58.00 an hour....you can make money in that range..50-58??I make money..

7. MSsnowplowing

Are you asking us if you can make money in that range or yourself?

All joking aside the last comments were sarcastic humor because Bean was asking:

I am subbing for a guy, just want to make sure my numbers sound ok. Tell me what you guys think.

Blue is plow always, yellow is as needed/on call. Walks shoveled and icemelt applied if needed in normal plow price. 2" trigger, though if anymore then 1 1\2" they call me out.

20 miles out of my way but gotta start somewhere. Thanks guys!

But he didn't give any numbers, no pictures.

Can't really answer a question without information.:popcorn:

8. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I based my rate off $55 hour but added some drivetime in. Mobile version doesn`t let me post picures apparently.

9. grandview

Well then,we'll keep beating you up till you do.wesport

10. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

No picture needed, you're numbers are off .

11. MSsnowplowing

Are you paying for the salt?

If you are add that into your cost.

You should be getting paid for subbing start to finish.

My guys start the clock when they leave their house.

The clock stops at the last property.

Sub rates vary from State to State and different areas of the state.

going rates in my area depend on what your driving and plowing with.
    the average is around $50 to $65 and up to $75 with a sander.

12. grandview

To bad for the guys,I heard you put the clock in their trucks.

13. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I Charge $90 per hr. South Central WI.
    Subs here are all over the place, no un-insured low ballers are $75 per hr for an 8' ish plow. No junk.

14. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Salt is extra only when requested. Driving a F350 DRW flatbed with a 8' 6" MVP.

15. MSsnowplowing

I snuck GPS units in their trucks ;)

16. snowpro44

snowpro44 Member

Thats the way i do it..I start my time when the blade hits the snow at my first job..I go out 20 mile from the house and work my way home..you need too get a few small accounts of your own to fill in..Thats how I make money..ya..my own.. im getting 65 to 70 an hr..Yes..Im give my contractor a good cut,but in turn i get some of the best commercial lot in the area..we all make money!!!..SERVICE!!..

17. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I feel like a robber baron. A regular highwayman.

18. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I got a call today asking if Im looking for any subs.
    This guy lost some work and wanting $50 per hour for a 90hp 4wd 10ft front plow w/wings and 10' rear blade. For that price I jump on this.
    I told him, I wish you ask sooner I would took on a HomeDept lot and put him there. I could made money with brickman price with him there.
    I told him I have a 7acre Factory lot he can plow and few driveways near it.

Even if he plows slow be worth having a extra tractor around being same size I run.
    His Insurance all check out OK.

19. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Now if I did this right, here is the map.

Blue is all plow every event 2" but I can plow anything over 1.5 realistically, Yellow is on call and generally going to be around 8" of accumulation or more before it gets cleared. When it does get plowed, it's stacked inside the fence, the north west corner of the map.

Salt is on call, and they want a 75% sand 25% salt mix. I plowed this a few times now, and it takes about 3 hours to plow and shovel the areas. Thats taking my time, I could probably do it in 2 hours. Their is about a 200 foot wide gravel lot on the left side of the map that goes to the back of the blue area that needs to be plowed every time also.

Let me know what you guys think for numbers, specifically on the salt sand part, I think I priced the lot plowing alright, but I've never priced spreading before. Thanks guys.

20. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Here is the map.

Attached Files: