1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does this sound fair?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by g.moore, Oct 19, 2006.

1. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

I bought my blade for personal use only so have no experiece plowing anything other than my driveway and a mile of dirt roads, and the road is for free. I got hit up by the management of the bldg I work in to plow their 2 lots, they don't want to pay the trip charge for someone to plow (its out in the boonies) and all the plows running in town say they are booked up for winter. Both lots are about 50' wide by 200' long asphault with curb on 1 side only, they are offering me $100 per hour and to use my judgement when to plow, they don't care if there's 1" or 2' and I will have a video feed at my house to view the conditions of the lots during a storm. Am I getting screwed or does this sound fair?

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You're getting set up. What about the liablity. And you said they don't want to pay the price. The idea of you being in total control means you are also hanging out there in the wind all alone.

100.00 an hour is cheap if you're buying fuel, equipment and assuming all liability.

3. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

Thanks, that was my feeling just wanted backup. No one up here seems to understand that just because I have a blade on the front does not mean that I do it for a living. I have PO'd alot of people when I explained that it is for my driveway and the road to my house and I have no desire to use it commercially, but I do know a few people who will do commercial applications that I can recommend.

4. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

charge a min of 175 or 225 to do the job per push . If you work at the same place you plow you know the lot pretty well. Plus that's more money in your pocket.

5. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

Don't forget then might want salt on the lot too.

6. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

I am pretty sure I am not going to do it but they are almost to the point of begging because no other operators will plow it because their routes are already full. If I do end up giving in it will be for more money and a signed statement releasing me from all liability regarding damage to their lot and curbs. They know my truck is my baby so if something did happen it would be 100% accident, I just don't want to get a letter at the end of winter from a lawyer suing me over some damage that was either there already or not my fault. Thanks to all you guys who responded, you made me think about this a bit more before making the decision.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

None of us said you shouldn't do it. We just suggested not to do it under the scenario you first posted. Use the site post some specifics about the lots, ask for a little assist on pricing. get a real contract, many of the guys will send you a copy of the one they use. Charge a proper rate, cover your butt with your insurance company, and make sure there is a clear outline of your contractual responsibility's. Then make some money!payup

8. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

Basher, I was only going to do it to help them out for 1 winter. I really don't want to honestly. It's a 2 hour drive on snow days so I would have to be up at 3AM to plow my roads leave at 4AM, plow their lot, work for 8 hours then 2 hours home. If I didn't I would leaving at 6AM or so after plowing my roads. I didn't buy my plow to work for other people, we just have no county maintenence on the road to my house. You guys brought up the insurance issue which I had not thought about and have no intent on doing just for them and as of Fri they were not thrilled with the idea of a "release of liability" and I will not be sued for doing them a favor (I consider it a favor since I don't do it for a living). After sleeping on it for 2 nights its gonna be a no, the money isn't worth the wear on my plow and the hours I will be running. Thanks again to all you guys for helping me with the decision.

9. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

I'm over at Sprucewood/Moon Ridge and it seems folks here (at least the new arrivals) have the same misconceptions as on your side of the river. They buy and build up on a non-maintained road and when snow flies and they can't get the Volvo in and out they want some help on the cheap.

For several years I plowed the 1.5 miles of privately maintained road I and 5 other households live on. I have no problem doing this for free as here on the homestead we all help each other. One neighbor has a ridge full of wood that needs thinning and a heavy duty splitter I borrow, another does an excellent job of summer grading and ditch maintenance. I had to get to town to get to work anyway. Did my church's lot when needed.

At the end of one big spring blizzard my truck & plow burned to the ground (electrical fire). Haven't been able to hold up my end of the deal since. New plow ordered yesterday. I will be able to resume my good neighbor policy here. Will likely plow other private roads in the area, but only for a reasonable price - and ONLY with FULL liability release.

Do you have a spot at the end of the road to disconnect and store your plow? 4 hrs a day of carrying that plow up is not going to be good on it or your truck.

BTW- Think we may get a real winter this year?

10. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

Rampart Ranger, those are my sentiments exactly. We are isolated so we do what we can to help each other, hence my plow. The people in my neighborhood have a hard time getting anyone to plow because they want the walk and porch shoveled, the snow must be piled neatly in individual areas they specify and you are in for a reaming if you plow up any of their pea gravel with the snow. All for $20.00 in a neighborhood where the most expensive house is about $250,000. The norm up here is a trailer (the kind you would tow behind a 1/2T pickup) converted into a house and because I live in a 6 year old $175,000 house they figure I got the money and time. I do 4 roads for free. period. As to the winter, we got 8" on Tue which melted by Thu and another 3" on Fri which melted by noon today so its kinda hard to tell right now but I am expecting a mild beginning with a hell raiser near the middle and end.

11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Rampart Ranger - why aren't the neighbors chipping in for this truck and plow? Seems to me like you're not only getting the short end of the stick, there's no stick at all. You buy the truck, plow and get out to do the plowing. Now you're expected to replace both because they were destroyed doing a communal job? That's why there are subdivision associations that collect dues and hire it done. You'd be well ahead in the long run.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Words of wisdom. There being a nice guy, and then there's being taken advantage of. Sound like Rampart Ranger fits in both categories.

13. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

Mick,

The truck that I lost was an old beater with a 20 year old Western. The fellow who does the grading has over $250k in excavation and road equipment - he never charges me for repairs (or fuel or labor). He has turned this road from a goat path into better than county maintained roads in this area.

We here on Bearcreek are fiercely independent, we prefer to work together informally on tasks that individually cannot be handled. It's worked for us since the early 60's when the homestead was divided. Occasionally a small feud arises, but when the heat is on we buck up and each contribute what we can to overcome.

The 40 acres across from me was bought 2 years ago by an outsider. He immediately PO'd everybody with his constant trespass and ignorance of easements that are stated clearly in every deed on the old homestead. To top things off, he brought in USFS (the homestead is an inholding). Till he repents, this fellow will never get a utility easement or any other kind of cooperation from any of us. Might as well sell.

He should have recognized the rights of others and tried to fit in. We will not succumb to the litigious way things are done down on the flatlands. We prefer the old way where a man stands up to his word and responsibilities, and gives respect and charity to his neighbors.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  14. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

What do you have for a plow setup?

15. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

gene,
    1996 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 CTD with an 8' Snow Way w/ down force. After plowing my roads once with it and taking 2 hours I have decided its the backup to 'Ol Green, my 1964 International 1200 4x4 with a 7 1/2" Meyers which takes only 45 min to do the same run. You can see both rigs in the non commerical forum under "Plowing with a Ram". If I had decided to do the lot at work it would have been with the Ram since the IH is running the original split rims and 42 year old bias ply tube type tires (it only runs on private dirt roads at max 20MPH chained and will never see asphault so it not a concern).