1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does this seem excessively rusty to you?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by MatthewG, Mar 16, 2012.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

This seems really rusty to me, considering I have the same machine - I guess some guys choose not to maintain equipment

2. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Not to me, I've seen a lot worst then that, that can be cleaned up and painted in no time. JMO
  3. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

Not really, looks kinda like ours, admitedly they are not cleaned as much as they should be, IMO anyway. But those are minor areas in my mind, I would rather have the guys focus on grease and fluid checks.
  4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

We don't see rust like out west, what I don't get is the rust on the window track on the inside of the cab. It appears to be a enclosed cab so it should be weather tight.
    Any idea of the year or hours on it?
  5. salopez

salopez Senior Member

if the guy is loading salt all day, and people are coming up telling him how much, every time he opens and closes the window with a salty glove....
  6. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

looks like all the other machines that are 6 or 7 years old out there
  7. MatthewG

No, new holland window sills have no weep holes, all of the collect water and they can't drain, I have seen many like that
  8. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

how old is the unit? doesn't look to bad.
    Also depends what you do with the unit and where you store it.
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

A coat of Fluid Film will take care of that.Thumbs Up
  10. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I can see how that would play into the rusting. We don't use bulk salt out here, there really isn't a need for it. Everyone uses a bagged product and run a sand / salt mix that is pre-mixed by the yard you buy it from. .
  11. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

No kidding! That could easily have been prevented and even now any further rust could be halted. Fluid Film it! wesport
  12. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

That's a great way to help ruin a set of pilot controls. It amazes me how guys can't seem to keep their salt covered gloves away from anything electrically controlled in a machine. Salt + electrics = expensive repair bill. I guess when its not theirs they don't give a crap
  13. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

It looks like it's just surface rust to me. You could clean it up with a grinder with a wire wheel and paint it.
  14. MatthewG

I thought it was really really rusty, but then again im the most anal guy out there when it comes to my equipment, every year spring and fall I touch up my stuff.

One time this winter my guy forgot his gloves, and we hand spread calcium on stairs...:nono:

I gave him a pair of mine, then he got in the skid with the gloves on, man oh man salt everywhere, even started to rust the seat belt, needless to say I went out there with a 5 gallon bucket of water and washed down the cab about a month ago, I just couldn't sleep anymore knowing rust was invading :gunsfiring: