1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does this not sound strange?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MK97, Sep 11, 2014.

1. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

Contacted to put a bid in for a condo complex. Speaking with the property manager I asked about trigger for service since this would be parking lot and sidewalks. This is also a per push bid.

Here's what's weird to me. It's a 2" trigger for sidewalks, and 6" for the lot. I haven't dealt with anything over 3" before especially when dealing with commercial. This just seems like a liability waiting to happen, or am I wrong?
  2. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

6 inches is stupid and a pain. He sounds like a tightwad. The hardpack would be a nightmare. Get him lower on his trigger
  3. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

That's my plan, as I don't think I have any interest even bidding if they wont adjust the trigger.

Not to mention I would have to make multiple trips in a 6"+ storm. every 2" for sidewalks, and then 6" for the lot. Not about to bend over backwards to accommodate something like that.
  4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Walk away from it.
  5. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

If they wont come down, walking is my only option. I wont take on that kind of liability and abuse on my equipment.

Which is unfortunate since it is literally less than 1/4 from me.
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't do more than a phone call and then walk away.
  7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

There is a gas station in my area and the owner plows the lot himself. He waits until there are six or eight inches of snow on the ground before he plows. He gets hard pack so bad that he can't scrape it up and there ends up being ruts really bad. The parking lot gets so bad that I refuse to go there in the Winter. There is no way I would do a six inch trigger for a commercial property.
  8. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

After a little digging with one of the board members that I happen to know. I found the reasoning, and trying to get them on my side before dealing with the prop manager.

The reasdoning is they use to have a 2" trigger, then had a lot of snow one year. So it got really expensive. Explained a slip and fall lawsuit from neglected snow management is likely to be a lot more expensive.

If they won't lower per push, going to try the seasonal price route. So it sounds better on paper.
  9. Mark Oomkes

Run away

There's other work out there.
  10. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

Have plenty of work lined up, but if I can grab this it would be icing...so we'll see.

I've yet to contact property manager or anything. Board member is a friend of a friend type thing. I'll make one attempt and be done.
  11. salopez

salopez Senior Member

um...isn't the property manager working FOR the board, and only offers advice? ultimately the decision is that of the board not the property manager. maybe I am wrong.
  12. Mark Oomkes

You've been warned, there is only 1 way this can turn out.
  13. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

That was my impression as well, but apparently they don't seem to follow the norm.

Mark, appreciate you looking out. I honestly would be amazed if they considered lowering the trigger. I figure they'll tell me to kick rocks and find some lowballer.
  14. Mega cab

Mega cab Member

Seasonal might be a nice route to go. If you offer them 3-4 in trigger. Might seem like there getting a good deal. We cap our condo- villas that are on seasonal to only one plow per day.
  15. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Guess your area is different then mine 1 inch trigger here by 2 inches people would be crying at 6 inches you would be terminated
    I need to move to where 2 inches of snow is the norm and people don't complain if they don't see black top 2 hours after snow stops
  16. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

This is far from the norm. Typical trigger here is 1", maximum I have done was 3". If they stick to the 6" trigger I see big issues this winter for whoever takes this on. If that happens, at least I can enjoy going down the street to see the mayhem.
  17. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

Sent them an email explaining why 6" is a bad idea and we wont be offering a bid with that requirement. If they want to lower it to 2" or entertain a seasonal price I will send a bid but that is the only way. I'll be surprised if I even get a reply back, but will keep everyone posted if I do.
  18. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Remember it's your business it's your ass on the line glad to see some one who care for his business for the long haul
    A little money now could cost you a lot later on
  19. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

Learned early on, if it doesn't feel right or make sense to walk. Busted my ass to grow every year, not going to throw it away for any job.
  20. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

My self I would just bid how it should be done give them per visit and seasonal bid and let them pick Never know Your bid might be only one they get