1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does this make sense?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Bruce'sEx, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

So Basically looking at backup camera, and was tossing ideas around for wiring it to reverse and to battery so I can run it with reverse only, or just power it on when I wanted.
    Now I know how I can do it with an on-off-on switch and relay. My question is does this diagram for using a on-off switch and 2 relays make sense or is there a possible problem with it. Haven't decided how I want to do it.

2relay Camera.jpg

2. Pushinsnow

Pushinsnow Junior Member

Looks good to me. Thats the exact same way I would wire it up.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Add a diode in your reverse signal wire, otherwise you camera power will back feed to the reverse lights, thus your reverse lights will attempt to be on any time you have the toggle switched on whether you're actually in reverse or not.

4. Pushinsnow

Pushinsnow Junior Member

The reverse light signal is the trigger for the relay and is isolated from the camera circuit so there will be no backfeeding and no need for a diode

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

My mistake, couldn't see how the pins were labeled until now. But any time you tap into an existing wire for add on relays and such it's still very wise to add a diode to prevent any back feed due to a short/incorrect install etc on the add on equipment. Replaced a few various expensive modules over the year a 30 cent diode could have saved.

Also note, your reverse signal wire can also be ground not 12V depending on where you pick it up and what truck it's on so a reconfigure to your diagram may be in order depending on what reverse wire you're using. Many late models use a ground (through the control or body module) to activate a relay so be aware of that so be sure you get the correct wire if you wiring as per this diagram.