1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does this look like 3 TONS? This is my first time ordering bulk so I need help...

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by merrimacmill, Dec 20, 2007.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Does this look like 3 tons? I ordered 3 tons of rock salt and paid $302.00 and I really imagined that I would get much much more for that amount of money. And this doesn't look like 3 tons of salt to me. But this is my first time getting bulk salt. Any opinions are appriciated. If its not then is there anything I can do?? Thanks,

Collin

salt.jpeg

2. wishin4snoww

wishin4snoww Junior Member
    from S.E. MI

:nod:Looks like 3 tons to me.

3. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

looks good

to be honest it looks like at least 3 ton or ~approx 4-5yd

4. merrimacmill

from MA

Alright, well I guess that answers it. Thanks guys.

-Collin

5. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Yep. Thats 3 tons

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If you shovel it by hand it's about 10 tons!

7. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

dont forget to keep it covered

JR

8. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

One pallet of bagged is 2400- 2500 lbs, so that looks close to me.

9. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

the quantity is fine, maybe closer 3.5 ton, but the price:eek: somebody took a mark-up along the way.

10. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Yep looks like 3ton to me, be more if it gets wet :)

11. merrimacmill

from MA

I've got it in one of those little tarp material, metal frame shelters. I build the sides up with cement blocks and then put the canopy over it. Seems to be working great so far since its snowing/raining out now and its completely dry. Thanks for the help everyone.

12. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

Looks like an expensive 3 tons for bulk. You need to find a new supplier. They bent you over the barrel at that price.

13. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Yea I can buy bag salt at $110 ton all day long

14. SnowMelt2006

SnowMelt2006 Member

You find me $2.75 per bag 50# bagged rock and I will take 100 truckloads right now.

15. merrimacmill

from MA

There is another supplier around here I found out about from our landscaper, but they don't deliver. They do deal with trucking companies that haul 20 ton minimum. But I'd only want 5 at a time.

16. big acres

big acres Senior Member

You paid less-than-load pricing because they still had to load a truck and drive to your shop, but still that is pretty steep. You can get it closer to $50-60 ton if you can handle a full load of about 15-18 yards, depending on what region your in.

In Minneapolis, we're getting $135-150 per ton APPLIED. You paid $100 per ton raw cost, and would stand to make at best $150 for all your time and effort to load, drive, and spread the product. Salt should be your biggest profit center in this business, so work on sourcing it cheaper.

17. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

You paid $302, but how much per ton and how much for delivery? You may have been better off getting more tonnage as the delivery fee probably doesn't change. JMO.

$150 applied. Not to criticize because every area is different, but your only making $100 per ton applied? We get $500 per ton and up (way, sometimes) here, applied.

18. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

where????????

19. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

500 a ton applied for salt? Comon.

20. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

My bagged price is 125 a ton, but that doesn't include delivery and tax of 6% and a 150 dollar delivery charge per truck.Ends up being about 145 a ton.

155 a pallet or so. Keep in mind theres 2450lbs on a pallet. Not 2000.