1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

does this interest you? emergency relief

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by kwegman003, Nov 14, 2007.

1. kwegman003

kwegman003 Member

Well to make a long story short. I am in college and my main contract that Ive had for 2 years called and declined. There is not much time to find new contracts that are not signed yet.

Would it be a good idea to not pick up any more residentials, and call the local snowplowing companies and tell them I can get them out of a jamb (breakdowns emergencies). I know last year if there was someone I knew about that could have plowed a few of my accounts I would have gone for it when I was stuck in a pile waiting to get pulled out.

Does it seem like it could create business? enough to justify having a truck with a few residentials that are regulars but not picky?

2. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

You should at least go out knock on some doors (Comm/Res) and yes call some of the other companys see if they need any subs.

3. kwegman003

kwegman003 Member

so you dont think that there is a market for this. I got stuck in a soft snow pile last year and had to call my mom at 630 am to come pull me out with my expedition. I would have gladly paid someone $50 to do so. I was stuck for almost an hour and it was snowing hard. I got to my last account and they had shoveled it....felt terrible and lost credibility.

4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

There is a market for guys like you. That's what I am or trying to be anyway; a sub. It doesn't snow enough here for me to have my OWN business, so I'd rather sub. If I move back to New England, I'll stay a sub or pick up my own accounts again. You should carry a set of chains with you in the truck. That stinks you were stuck and I have had a customer shovel their own driveway before. That was annoying and if I remember right they were an impossible to please type and I think I dropped them. We can't be in 20 places at once, but guess what, the snow can! Good luck this year. Here's to a ton of snow for you!

5. kwegman003

kwegman003 Member

Thanks Banksy....It will be interesting to see if I get any replies. I tried anything to get me out of the yard...salt..floor mats... it was really warm the day before so the ground was soft and I could feel myself sink right in.

I am also willing to plow for people as well...you know like when your solenoid craps the bed before the parts store opens.

ill let you know how it all works out for me...I was really counting on my bank to pull through with the contract like they had past years. It was a big suprise when I got that call. someone lowballed it for less than half of what I did for the last few years. Cant wait to see the service they get.

6. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

As long as a guy/operator is good at what he does. I would pay top dollar

Peterbilt

7. kwegman003

kwegman003 Member

That is good to know. I just need a better way of reaching people around me. There would probably be a season minimum, then price out the rest by the circumstances and job needed.

8. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

buy a tow truck and put a plow on it.

otherwise your service can be filled by someone calling a tow truck, or a friend, or hiring a sub.

tow truck with plow. is the way to go.

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I wanted to do something like what kwegman003 is talking about and start a wrecker company, so I had the same idea as bribrius. The problem was (you guessed it) insurance. I'd have to have a policy for plowing and towing; both full year policies in addition to Commercial Vehicle. The insurance for towing was even higher than plowing. On the flip side, with a wrecker boom on the back, you don't need to worry about ballast. And if you think you'll just plow with it and not tell the insurance company that you're towing, that won't work. If you have the equipment, you're presumed to be using it.

10. kwegman003

kwegman003 Member

its not actually a towing service. The towing is just one thing of a list that I have capabilities of doing. No I wouldn't show up to wrecks and haul people off with smashed front ends, but I would pull someone out of one of their banks and send them back on their way. I would not need a boom, I think a few chains to my tow hitch is all that is needed to unstick 99 percent of plow trucks. Then if the truck actually breaks down, I could also take a list of addresses for seamless plow coverage to clients. Its just a thought, and I like seeing the pros and cons, it will help me decide if it is worth it.

11. Green Feet

Green Feet Member

Kwegman, what area are you in. I have over 25 accounts in Greece. I need to have an emergency plan.

12. spazfam

spazfam Junior Member

Greenfeet and kwegman I am over in hilton and I am sure I would sleep better If I knew I had someone reputable to call in a jam.

13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

It Is a nice idea.
    But You may run in to some resistence.

It most areas you need to be licensed have the proper equipment and training to do towing.
    You will need Ins too, what if you damage someones truck and put them out of business?

Would you be taking away money from the towing co's by low-balling, not having the proper licensing or INS to do recoveries?

Kind of like the uninsured guy with the old truck plowing for beer money. jmo....

Just something to think about..

14. Green Feet

Green Feet Member

Spazfam, I agree.... We could keep in touch and help each other from time to time.

15. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Be careful pulling people out of snow without the proper equipment or training. Even 3/4 tons and one tons can be easily damaged. Pulling one vehicle with another by using a chain is NOT the way to go.

16. spazfam

spazfam Junior Member

Sounds good to me.PM Me when you can and we can talk more.

17. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Getting Stuck

I am really lucky because my neigbor next to my shop has a tow truck. What I did was talk to him and he made me a deal I can't refuse. If one of my trucks get stuck I just call him at any hr and he runs out and gets them out for me for a minimal charge. In return I keep his lot clear when I do mine. Works for both of us and I have yet to have a truck out of commission by more then an hr, usually less then 30 minutes unless its one of the outter clients in my area. I don't hire subs anymore because I have three trucks on the road. I do have two beater trucks that I keep in back of my shop that have older western plows on them. Bought them for about 2k each. I keep them licensed and insured and if I do get backed up becuase of an unusual snow fall which seems to happen at least twice a year here I just call a couple of my employees that have been laid of for the winter and they come and fire one up and pick up the slack. I just pay them cash so it doesn't interfer with what other income they have coming in at the time. I would recommend anyone with a couple of trucks to do that as in the long run it is much cheaper then hiring a sub and you can keep it all in house that way with less chance of losing a client to a sub.