1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does this happen to you?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Gusco, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Gusco

Gusco Senior Member

You get a phone call or email asking for a proposal and the person turns out to be a known snow pusher? I get these calls year after year. On two occasions they used address of people on my own route for the estimate. (Duh!)

I know they are doing this to find out what im charging and it pisses me off. It wastes my time and is aggravating. I have never called a fellow blade dropper in this manner to find out what they are charging. I just go about with my bids. Ugggh!:angry: :realmad:

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I did. There is this guy I know who has a new truck and plow, so now he thinks he is JOE-PLOWER. He said to some mutual friends, Hey, Informer makes good money doing this plowing stuff!!
    So, he puts an add in the paper.
    I have my brother-in-law call him for an estimate and to ask him for prof of insurance, He had no idea he needed separate insurance for plowing and his prices are a little on the low- baller side, I just don't think he has a clue what to charge, as my brother tried to haggle his price down and was successful!!
    I was just curious to see what he was charging for his services, for my own entertainment and if I ever have to bid against him I can tell the customer about plower's needing insurance to cover any losses that may occur.
    He is a poor heavy equipment operator and I know he does not have a clue when it comes to plowing, so it will be interesting to see what his new truck looks like in the spring.

Plowing is a cut throat or be cut business. There is always someone in the wings ready to take your business away, It's a good idea to keep an eye on the competition..

3. drplow

drplow Senior Member

i get that once or twice a season for plowing, alot more for tree removal. its so easy to figure out when these snoops call. they always want a price on something that i haven't even looked at and they usually don't need me to look at the job.

4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

So...If you know its not the property asking for the bid why do you waste your time and go out there ? :confused: :rolleyes:

5. Gusco

Gusco Senior Member

I never estimated those calls. Those two that i recognized i immediatly said "I already do this address. And they reply with the lame....I was looking for someone cheaper. The two instances this happend was to those i know personally and knew for a fact it wasnt the owner calling.