1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does the plow lift cylinder need the weight of plow to lower?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Serenescapes, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Serenescapes

Serenescapes Member

I am so totally new to pushing snow I have actually never done it. I have recently purchased what I have been told is a Fisher speedcast plow. Before I go spending a lot of money on push plates and truck side stuff, I wanted to know if my pump was any good. I hooked a battery up to the pump and it lifted but seems not to want to go down. Any beginning steps would help. Thanks ahead of time. Also if anyone would like to answer quite a few other questions I have about this plow, pump, and set-up, please feel free to call me. 540-359-1769. Name is Eric. Thanks.

2. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

it does need sum wait on it in order two go down as it is not a dubble acting silinder

3. Serenescapes

Serenescapes Member

Thanks. I'm thinking of trying to find a shop that I can trust to set this whole thing up. I'd like to do it myself but am afraid of messing up the pump...

4. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

the control would also need to be in float before you can push it down too.

5. Serenescapes

Serenescapes Member

I take it float is the middle position? Or hold the joystick down? I found out today that in order to get push plates for my 1990 F250 xlt Lariat and this old speedcast plow, I am going to have to go to a welding shop and get them fabricated. I'm relying on the community here to give me what they think is a fair price. Any suggestions?

6. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

i probly have a set but u are kinda far away

7. Serenescapes

Serenescapes Member

You are welcome to call me and we can talk $$$ and shipping if you would like to go through that mess foe somebody. 540-359-1769 Eric I need the plates but would ask that they be in good condition. if you'd look I'd appreciate it.

8. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

it should go into float when you hold down for more than 1 second. then you can release it to the neutral position and it will still be in float.

9. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

just like everyone said, you must be in float for the cylinder to move up/down freely. It does use the weight of the plow to lower, but not as much as you think. The internal valves within the pump assembly hold/control the fluid and pressure which directly control the plow. When you are in float mode, it allows the fluid within the lift cylinder to move in/out giving you the float mode, meaning the valve is allowing the fluid to move in both directions in/out of the cylinder.

10. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Wow :eek: :dizzy:

11. Serenescapes

Serenescapes Member

Thank you for the explanation. I'm sure other newbies will also benefit from it. How about testing the cylinders on the actual plow? Just hook em up and use the joystick?

12. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

that too works...also much more simple!!.LOL

13. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

the angle cylinders? not too much to test really. all they do is fill with oil and that pushes the ram out. the seals keep the oil from leaking out around the ram. I'd just wait until you have it all together and run it. unless the rams are all rusty or something, then I'd replace the whole cylinder.

14. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

That's what I was thinking. I wonder if he's related to birddseedd.

15. Serenescapes

Serenescapes Member

That's what i'll do then.thanks for the info. I'm waiting for morrissey snow removal to get back to me about some push plates he found. Hopefully will get them soon and i'll let everybody know how she runs!