1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does the dry air bother you?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by birddseedd, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

it sure bugs me. half way threw my route im tryign to keep the window down to get some moisture in the air in my cab.

thinking of bringing an inverter and running a small humidifier in my truck

2. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I use a sterno setup in my truck that I had left over from the last wedding I catered.

Keep a pot of boiling water on top of it, and it makes the inside nice and comfortable to drive around in...

You should try ti.... Might help you out.

3. birddseedd

that soudns safe. ill get right on it.

4. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

You do know moist air is what makes the windows fog up ? When you put the defrost on it kicks the air conditoning pump on to remove the moistness from the air.You adding a humiditifer is 180 degrees off what you need , about par for you and your logic.

5. birddseedd

that makes sense, although my truck gets really really really dry. chapped lips dry. i just want to get enough moisture to get it back to regular humidity, not extra humidity. the one i have is just a bowl with a fan above it. doesnt really do much. and i can always turn it off.

unless someone else has experienced this and has a good solution.

6. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

Just use the heat instead of defrost. I'm pretty sure that if you select the recirculate option it doesn't take the moisture out. Then just switch to defrost when the windows start to fog.

7. birddseedd

that is with heat only and on recirculating. still gets as dry as the Dickinson

8. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Throw a handful of snow down the vents. Instant moisture! LOL

9. birddseedd

chuckles..............

10. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Crack a window.

11. birddseedd

thats what i do. i guess i just wait too long befor edoing it. suppose i shoudl start with it cracked from teh start maybe the dry air wont build up.

12. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Have a wet shoveler ride with you and you'll feel like your in a rain forest.

13. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

If you want high humidity in the cab, windows CLOSED, put the heater on RECIRCULATE, defroster OFF.

I've always found the "A/C on with defroster" to be idiotic. Heat by itself will do the job of keeping the window defogged, A/C is only really helpful when the ambient air is extremely humid, like when its raining. In most vehicles, modifying the heater to NOT activate the A/C for defrost is usually quite simple, like popping out the A/C fuse.

The warmer the air is, the greater the amount of water vapor it can support before it starts condensing. Winter air is COLD, even when it is snowing, it is DRY. Opening the window, or putting the heater on "Fresh", or running the A/C (dehumidifier), is going to cause the air to be very dry. In the cab, with the heater on recirc, A/C OFF, your own breathing will humidify the warm air.

14. birddseedd

maybe im not sure what you mean by "ac" then. the ac im thinking of gives cool air. heat on, widnows closed heater on recirculate and no defrost is what i do.

15. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Do that.......... Thumbs Up

Just imagine the capable truck you could have if you saved your money and stopped with all the worthless gadgetry and foolish ideas. However, thanks for the entertaining posts.

16. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I usually just pop a pizza into the oven. If it starts off frozen...I get all the humidity I could ever want, especially with the self rising crust Digiorno pizzas. Otherwise I just crack open the window.

pizza anytime.jpg

17. birddseedd

you are getting the wrong idea. its a closed bowl of water with a spinning fan on the top of it. its not an electronic or heat based humidifer.

18. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

It's not electric, but you need an inverter. :help:

19. birddseedd

Its not a steam type humidifier where the water is heated. it is an impeller type, bowl of water, fan that spins above the water.

20. birddseedd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.