1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does the Blade Trip When in V or Scoop?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by DieselDan172, Jan 14, 2009.

1. DieselDan172

DieselDan172 Member
    from Mass.

on Fishers V website it compares V Plows. it says the Boss dos NOT trip in V or Scoop. is that true?

2. SNO-PRO

SNO-PRO Member

False it will trip

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Mine trips. Did it just yesterday as a matter of fact. .

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Yes it will. And if your springs are lose even a little more.

5. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

I have never ever seen a Boss trip, unless the blade is straight.

my guys are crazy and dumb (sometimes) I have seen a chevy 3500 hit a curb so hard that the rear wheels came off the ground, and that plow did not budge. :dizzy::realmad:

6. Lil STX Ford

Lil STX Ford Senior Member

1 word..... ouch!!!

7. camconcrete

camconcrete Senior Member

mine trips, I drive with it almost on the ground so the truck don't get hot, and it catches sometimes pulling in and out of parking lots if they are steep approaches

8. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

i never had it trip in scoop, It would always go into the straight position first and when it did trip it was pretty harsh. Thats why we sold it. Trip edge on the fisher is soooo much easier on my truck and my body!! LOL

9. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Mine will, and has, tripped in the scoop position.

I almost never ever use the V position so I couldn't tell you about that.

10. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Mine trips.

11. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I plowed an 8 kilometer dirt road in the V position on monday night with a 12" of snow on the ground and it would trip in the V position, when in scoop mode, the wings are made to retract back to the straight position & trip when I hit something hard

12. Nailit1954

Nailit1954 Senior Member
    from ma.

My boss trips in angle or straight. In v or scoop it kind of bounces witch works well also!

13. mikeyfff1011

mikeyfff1011 Member

ouch that would kill my day fast

14. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

The one truck with a new Boss plow hit a parking lot drain grill. Hit it and shot it across the lot. Just like a hockey puck. SCORE!!!!

15. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

The Boss does trip in the V and scoop position. When the blade is in the V and you hit something the wings go forward ( straight) and then trip. In the scoop, the wings fall back ( straight) and then trip. I have my trip springs and retract spring bolts loose.
    I dont have the smarties, i dont know what happens if you have the smarties. I am happy the way mine preforms with out them.

They do, i do most of the plowing in the straight and angled. But when i scoop or V, it does trip. I dont think this will work if the driver is driving too fast though.
    When the blade is in the V or scoop, and you hit something the wings need to fall back to the straight position. So if your guy is that reckless and fast, the blade may not have enough time to fold back to straight before it trips. Try going a little SLOWER and loosen the springs a little and see what happens.
    Now i can see why insurance is through the roof.

Do you have the smartlocks? I find that when i am stacking, or pushing a pile back further. The wings want to pull back to the V position. Or when i am back dragging in straight, the wings go toward the scoop position.
    It works the same way when you hit something. When something stops the blade, the wings retract and the blade falls.

Like i said i dont know how this would work if your driving fast, or reckless. i dont drive that way. I take care of my equipment. And i dont know if this works with the smarties. I am more then sure it will, but i dont know because i dont have them.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  16. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

mine trips in the V and scoop positions. obviously though not as well as when its straight. Fisher is probably just trying to bring attention to their trip edge plow, which Boss does offer in there straight blades too.

17. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

grandview pm sent