1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does Snow Stake Quality Even Matter?

Discussion in 'Discount Snow Stakes' started by DiscountSnowStakes, Mar 23, 2016.

1. DiscountSnowStakes

DiscountSnowStakes Senior Member
    from Boston

Does Snow Stake quality even matter? Take our poll and get cheap stakes in March

POLL

2. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

I bought some stakes awhile back. They are awesome and hold up well. I used them to mark a driveway threw a wooded area. They have been in the ground for a solid 8 years. The reflective tape is still on and and works.

3. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

I don't have a need for stakes at any of my accounts that I have, so I don't use them, but if I did, I would view them as an investment like anything else I buy for the business. I would rather spend a little more and get something that will last several years as apposed to buying something a little cheaper, but having to replace them every year or 2. Especially if they were like some that I've seen that have little signs attached with my company logo on it. In that case, it is a reflection of my company and I would want the best available. JMO

4. DiscountSnowStakes

from Boston

5. chevyhauler

chevyhauler Senior Member

Few thoughts regarding snow stake quality (as least as far as my thinking goes)
    1) with commercial accounts, having stakes that are too expensive only increases the chance that someone else will steal them. Its different than having them on driveways. I throw a couple quick sprays of fluorescent spray paint somewhere near the top so that they look individualized, and if someone does steal them, I "may" get the chance to see them around town and then recognize them.
    2) I hear that the thinner stakes take a truck running over them better than the thicker better quality stakes. Not only the possibility of my running them over but often the rear trailer wheels of a delivery tractor trailer which often put their rear wheels over the same islands that I need to plow around. I know that I could use spring loaded stakes, but that would then go back to point #1.
    3) despite this, I do like having the reflective band around the top of the stake. Seeing as visibility is their job...adding to that visibility is a good thing.
    4) Metal caps have never really been that important. I still bang in the rubber caps/no caps just fine. My stake attrition is somewhere between 10% &20% a year so worst case...I fray a stake top...no biggie. I reuse it anyways.
    just my 2 cents
    your mileage may vary

6. DiscountSnowStakes

from Boston

good feedback

yeh, everyone varies in preferences etc.... thanks for comments

7. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

We usually go with cheap wooden ones since half of them get run over or plowed over anyhow. I think we're going to try something different this year though. I like the idea of the stakes with your company info on them

8. DiscountSnowStakes

from Boston

stake marketing

yeh, the labels arent great for advertising though because there is such a small area diameter wise.... the flags are great though