1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does size really matter - in batteries!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Newfie Ranger, Dec 10, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Newfie Ranger

Newfie Ranger Member

Hi Guys,

I have a 03 chevy silverado 2500HD diesel with dual batteries and heavy duty alt. The truck is stock with two 710 amp batteries. I have a 7.6 ft western pro-plow and was wondering what size batteries most people are using. I am thinking 850 minimum as I don't think the 710 will do the trick with the extra load. What are most of you guys using?

2. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Dual 710s gives 1420 total. Most big plows work OK with 850, but you don't have a big plow. I run a 9' Western Pro Plow on a single 750 and it does OK, not great, but OK. I'm all for overkill with spare capacity, but you already have overkill with dual 710s. If you are drawing down too much power, you need to start looking at the possibility of the pump motor going bad. The plow will run slow and draw way too much power when the motor is going bad.

3. Newfie Ranger

Newfie Ranger Member

Thanks Aeronutt. I am suspecting that the poblem is with my batteries. I parked the truck for two weeks while I was on holidays this summer and the batteries were dead when I came home. I dropped to the truck to the garage to get a load test on the batteries and alternator checked. You are exactly right when you mentioned about the large draw on the batteries when lifting the plow. That is exactly what is happening. If the batteries and alt come back OK, I'll have to get a load draw test on the pump motor. The motor is olny $160, cheaper than replacing the alt or batteries if they are fried.

4. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I run duals 1880 total ca...1600 cca....1 yr. old ...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If those are original batteries, they are probably toast.

6. Newfie Ranger

Newfie Ranger Member

I had the batteries tested and they were fried. I put dual 850s in for replacements. Had the alternator checked and it was fine. I think I might get a load test on the pump motor just to be certain that everything is OK.

7. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Now you know there's plenty of battery power with gobs of overkill. I like it.

I doubt this will be a problem on an '03, but do you also have good quality cables with clean terminals and dielectric grease protecting everything from corrosion? No point having new batteries if the juice dies in the cables...

8. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009