1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

does or did anyone have any issues with the door hinges?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by oldsw-31, Dec 12, 2005.

1. oldsw-31

oldsw-31 Member
    from mass

does anyone have any issues with the door hinges?

2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I have a '98 that is in need of bushing in the drivers door. I guess it's not bad figuring 165000 miles...

3. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Older truck? All of them go bad sooner or later. The 73-87 body seems to be hard on them. However, that puts some of those trucks over 30 years old.

4. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

I just had the pins and bushings replaced on my 95 ext cab. The parts were more expensive than I thought, about $100. They charged 1 hour labour at GM dealer body shop to do the job. The drivers door on my 94 is also getting a bit of play in it so I will have to get it fixed next. The guy at the body shop said it is common on these trucks. He said that the newer GM's don't have replaceable pin and bushings, he said they have to weld in new hinges on them and it cost big $ to do the job.

5. payton

payton Senior Member

my bushings are shot on my 2000 gmc. so they will need replaced soon. usually bout 30-45 min job. the only ***** takes 2 people.. one to help hold the door and one to work in the small crack.

payton

6. six o

six o Junior Member
    from maine

He said that the newer GM's don't have replaceable pin and bushings, he said they have to weld in new hinges on them and it cost big $ to do the job.

just so none of you pay out the nose to have this done,gm has had a pin and bushing kit for the newer gm's for about a year now,ive replaced few sets and there actually pretty simple to change.i hated when we had to change the whole hinge assembly it was almost a day job on one side,now its about an hour.

7. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

GM's hinges suck. It wouldn't be as bad if the bushings were of a bit harder composition. I replaced both sets last year and one is already sagging. If I were ambitious, I suppose I'd get a set of better grade bushings and drill out the hinges to make them fit.

8. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

I'm With MMWB-- I swear they designed them to wear out every few years--Had an 88 up until recently and replaced pins and bushings 4 times in the truck--pass side only once! They really need to resolve the problem, since the seventies chevy/GMC door hinges sag. :yow!: Had a 73-78-82-88-94 all had this problem!:dizzy: Thirty years and it sounds like it still is a problem!

9. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS Senior Member

mine arent sagging but they squeak like b!tch .