1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does my pump or motor need to be rebuilt??

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by moops, Oct 21, 2012.

1. moops

moops Junior Member
    from CT

I spent most of yesterday chasing a problem that happened last year…I only plow my driveway (the truck never leaves the yard) so I ended up doing more shoveling than I would have liked….I hope this isn't a trend for this year

First and foremost I searched the forum before bugging you all and I didn't find anything to help. If I missed it please feel free to provide a link or suggested key words and I'll search again.

I have an uni-mount set-up (9 pin and 2 pin). It has worked fine for the last 1.9 seasons. I do not use the lights so I am only using the BLK/RED and BLK wires on the 2 pin and the LT GRN, LT BLU, WHT/YEL and BLK/ORN wires on the 9 pin. The other wires are not connected on either side. Last year (towards the end of the winter) when I hooked up the plow and raised it I saw smoke. After shutting everything down in a GIANT PANIC, I investigated and discovered that the smoke came from the ground wire (BLK/ORN) on the 9 pin/truck side harness. All the insulation melted off it from the truck side plug to the ground connector (it got HOT...think light-bulb element). All the other wires (truck and plow side) were unharmed. Yesterday I temporarily rewired the ground wire...and checked the 2 wire ground to make sure it was good. Everything checked out. I reconnected everything but left the plow off the hydraulics and gave it a try. It seemed to work. It appears that the motor/hydraulics work fine and there is no “wire heating”. I then connected the plow to the pump. As soon as I tried to lift the weight of the plow (motor under load) it raised the plow a few inches and stopped and the ground wire heated up again and literally melted all the insulation off (probably 3-4 feet) it in a matter of 2-3 seconds…then it popped like a flashbulb. I think it's not a wiring problem...This leads me to suspect the motor or pump is not working correctly.

Does anyone have experience with this sort of problem? How do I check to see if it’s the motor or pump and how do I fix the culprit?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Steve

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well first thing I would ck would be your tk side gnd. Kinda sounds like it doesn't have a good contact the main pwr and gnd from tk to the plow is what u should for. Now don't just look at it and say "its looks fine." take it off clean it wiggle the ends clean the batt or where ever its attached. Dialecttic grease it. Then move to your plow motor and do the same

3. moops

moops Junior Member
    from CT

NAILED IT!!! Thumbs Up

Thanks Sir for your input /advice...did just what you suggested and problem solved!

Thank you...:drinkup:

4. dieselss

Ok. So what was it?

5. moops

moops Junior Member
    from CT

Bad ground connection...

All I did was remove every ground connection, wire brush them apply dielectric grease and reconnect...all is operating correctly now.
    When I "metered" them earlier there was continuity, so I assumed the problem wasn't ground...however, apparently the connection wasn't good enough to handle the demand of current when load was applied to the motor...after a good cleaning it's back to normal

6. dieselss

Ok. Good deal. Glad ur up and running and it wasn't that bad