1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does my bid sound to high?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Lasher66, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Lasher66

Lasher66 Member

Ok, here is the good part, the customer is a Post office lot and they already accepted the bid. I just want to make sure they come back next year and after salting a couple times already, it seems to good to be true. Anyways, I figured the plow job is about $300 per push on 2" to 4" and goes up from there because I figured it would take me about 3hrs to plow at $100per hour. Well, the salt job will take about 20 50#bags and I quoted them at $15 a bag which is $300 or $235 after the price of salt. It only takes me about 1 hour to get the salt from my storage and spread it at the post office lot. I just feel like I am doing to good with making $235 in 1 hour and I want to make sure that they come back next year. Does this sound high? I noticed other guys on here charging $15 a bag and up. Thanks for the input.

2. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

i would say do ur job make the lot clear and keep it there and they will pay. but then again i guess thats not true somebody undercut me like 35% and lost an account that i had for a couple years.
  3. Little Jon

Little Jon Senior Member
    from Buffalo

We dont use bagged salt, we use bulk, and charge 100 per ton(cost like 35 or 40 per ton) and our truck holds 3 ton. The truck can empty out in about 20 min, but at our rate its usualy like 45. So figure in an hour of salting we bill out like 375 and it cost 150 in salt. If it sounds to good, thats cuz it is, but not in a bad way. Salting is the real money maker in snow removal.payup. You should be making more salting than plowing(perhour), if your not you are either not charging enough or paying to much for salt.
  4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

$235 an hour sounds pretty good and not too high. we spread about 2 ton(treated) on lots and about 250 lbs on walks and took me about 4 hours and i grossed about $1250....had about $250 in salt cost. the four hours includes preperation and fueling and taking my sweet time.
  5. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

Superior and all them big boys charge $135 per H A L F hour l. They also retain the best corperate lawyers money can buy. Im sure some of you fellas know what im talkin about.
  6. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

I hate to say this and make you worry or god forbid lower your price but eventually someone will come around and undercut your salt price by at least half of what you charge and probaly 1 and a half less.

You simply Can Not compete price wise with a tailgate vs guys that run bulk.

If you can still get three times cost on your applied salt....go for it. Those days are numbered and in some areas havent been heard of for years. I assume you pay around 4 dollars a bag for salt.
  7. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

They'll also need workmans comp. Thats uncle sam your working for .It aint cheap folks.that usually keeps the lil guys at bay.
  8. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

College In Toledo

Hey jason I graduated from The University of Toledo A few years back and now i live back in cleveland. Which post office are you doing. the one bancroft out by kroger or the one at the central intersection. You should probably be getting more $ for that job on the salting. But that sounds like a good price. Keep them happy and they will be around for a long time