1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does liquid de-icer work for my 6wheeler

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by MADDAWG, Dec 14, 2012.

1. MADDAWG

MADDAWG Junior Member

I have a tandem axle truck ( 6 wheeler ) that I'm going to be using for relocating snow . And was told others have sprayed their boxes with a liquid to keep snow from building up . I've asked different people and no one knows what it is . I stopped by a business that sells snow equipment and they say they only sell BRINE by bulk , but can't guarantee the stuff will work and only sell it in bulk 275 gal containers . Also the stuff is only good to 15-17 degrees .

Can anyone help me out or guide me in the right direction .

I live in the IL/WI border if that helps .

Thanks

2. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

wouldnt a 6 wheeler be a single axle

3. lawnboy2121

I never had a problem with snow sticking in our bodys but just put a little salt in it before the first load and it should be all set

4. MADDAWG

MADDAWG Junior Member

We call those 4wheelers

Thanks guys

5. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Use some diesel :)

6. MADDAWG

MADDAWG Junior Member

Not an option , we're moving snow from one lot to a bigger lot . We use diesel on asphalt but can't for the snow

7. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

It would be calcium chloride used to spray dump bodies to prevent sticking.

8. lawnboy2121

4 wheelers it has 6 wheels in mass it is a single axle

9. MADDAWG

MADDAWG Junior Member

Cool i'll rephrase it to Tandem Dump .

10. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

10 wheeler or tandem, but it isn't a 6 wheeler.

No, you don't want liquids, they'll melt the snow, it will freeze up and stick.

Fluid Film.

11. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

It all depends on the temps.Wet snow moved later after the temps fall is a pain in the butt.You may loose a couple yards of capacity.Banging tailgate helps a little.Vibrator helps but is costly($500 +) Heated body works. Thought of temporarily sticking flex pipe on exhaust and aiming up. Painting bed with a gallon of cheap gloss black rustoleum helps. A piece of poly dump liner held on with a couple of screws up front is your best bet. Nothing worse than having to jump into the bed constantly with a flat shovel in the middle of the night.

12. MADDAWG

MADDAWG Junior Member

Thank you Sir , for your input .

13. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

No problem. Our supplier sells Calcium with corrosion inhibitors mixed in specifically for this use. Its a powerful product, should do what you want.

14. ohiogreenworks

ohiogreenworks Senior Member

15. Knockah22

Knockah22 Senior Member

16. szorno

szorno Senior Member

I have used mag chloride on both loader buckets and dumps with excellent results. Only respray the bucket after 2+ hrs. Only respray dumps after numerous fillings.

17. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

A little antifreeze applied with a sprayer works very well and the sprayer minimizes the mess.

18. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I relocate alot of snow for one of my clients and never had an issue with it sticking in the box. We never treat it with anything.

19. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

When I haul snow in my dump trailer I don't treat it. Just bang the gate and go. I did build a extending scraper I use for dirt but it works good for stuck snow as well. Just 2 pieces of conduit that slide in one another and a pin to set the length and a piece of flat plate welded in to a pipe coupler then welded to conduit. With the box in the air I can almost reach the nose of my 22' trailer. I do use a mix of Chloride and liquid laundry soap while hauling dirt in freezing weather and straight Chloride when hauling gravel just put in pump sprayer and a light coat on the box.

20. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

In our area they are called six wheelers just a local thing I guess. Not a lot of them used around here at least all semis with end dumps.