1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does it matter?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by tthomass, Jul 22, 2007.

1. tthomass

tthomass Junior Member

I've plowed with the previous companies I've worked for and we had Myer plows. Probably the only reason we had them is because they are the cheapest, or so I understand.

I have since started my own company and looking to plow this winter as I did not this past. I got a quote once for a Western that was over $4,000 and then there's Boss etc. My question, though one may be easier to hook up, does it really matter which one you have? Why spend a few thousand on one vs another? Yeah Western is easy to hook up but so what, I do not care, if that is all that I'm buying for the extra $. I'm just wanting to narrow down what plow to buy come winter.

My truck is a '02 Chevy 2500HD
    -ext cab
    -long bed
    -4.10 rear
    -6.0L gasser

2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

AT 30 A DRIVEWAY YOU WOULD HAVE TO PLOW 133 DRIVEWAYS ONCE EACH TO PAY FOR THE PLOW IF IT COST 4K. that doesnt include fuel, break downs, insurance, or your time. IF you are seriously looking at this in a business sense keep in mind the ones making the most dollars are always the ones with not just the most income but just as importantly THE LOWEST OUTGOING EXPENSES..
    I agree with your observation!
    your either a. running a thousand dollar truck and a thousand dollar plow for four years, fixing break downs yourself and making money hand over fist because you use the truck for the summer business also and its your daily driver.

or your b. in debt on a fourty thousand dollar truck and five thousand dollar plow that looks really cool but you have to plow driveways to afford the payments and you have lied to yourself so much about how you make money doing this that you actually have begun to believe it.

or c. your investing in the business for long term but are smart enough to keep your expenses fairly low because other wise you will be working for free. the difference here is you are acquiring equipment to GROW a company while still pulling a honest profit so your not volunteering your time and your expenses are inline to increase your profits not kill them.

or d. you havent given much though to any of the above three because your a contractor or someone in a seasonal position with winters off and you quite honestly have nothing better to do so you plow snow. whether its profitable or not is not really a factor. it gives you something to do just like a hobby would.:jester:
  3. tthomass

tthomass Junior Member

Certainly have to keep the costs down. I would like to spend about $1500 for a plow with everything for my truck. I haven't done enough shopping around but I think that is reasonable for a used plow setup.

I am using it as a busy factor for when times are slow. Pull in a few extra thousand in the winter to cover some bills. We do stay busy in the winter with property clearing, patios, trees etc.

Besides the cool factor and how lazy you can be to hook up one plow vs another.....is there any reason to not buy Meyer? They are the cheapest, yes?

Thanks for the help!
  4. matts lawn care

matts lawn care Junior Member

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

The only issue I have had with Meyer is the coils on the pump. Just keep a few on hand and you are fine. The plows themselves are very, very strony, IMO, and can take quite a beating and still keep pushing. Plus I think parts are more readily available for the Meyer. That and are extremely easy enough to work on. Me personally, I really dont care how the plow mounts, as long as it works good and makes me $$$$$$!! So go ahead and go for the Meyer.
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Good luck finding a reliable plow at that price even if you install it yourself. As long as your truck is you need at least 8 foot of blade.

Meyer can be a pain but they're easy to work on.

Whatever type you buy local dealer support is the key.

Don't buy a plow if you can't drive to the dealer to get parts.

Ask around, see what people say about the support in your area.

Don't go to the cheapest, go to the one that has the best service reputation.

Search Plowsite, see what parts the guys using the type plow you have recommend carrying.

Then, buy them, learn to install them, carry them and the tools to do the work with you.

Beware buying a used plow. if it didn't come off a truck like yours the cost of parts you need to make it fit could make a good deal much less attractive.
  7. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

ive always had westerns just b.c my uncle sells them and caries parts for them in his gerage at all times....but ill ask you this have u every gotten a call in a unexpected snow fall as theres 2in on the ground and you need to plow and u have to mess around for half hour puttin a plow on.....IT SUCKS....but id go with dealer...get one with a great dealer...thats my best advice one that will be open at 2am on a sat night/sub morn/or better yet xmas or new years day/eve if a hose goes and you dont have an extra on you that tipe of stuff...DEALER DEALER DeALER is what i have to say
  8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Many guys around here run Meyer, Western is prolly 2nd and then fisher and boss is slowly getting up there. I like the western and Fisher for the easy hook-up. The meyer plows just don't seem that great to me.

Not all the time but many times when you put a meyer and a fisher or western next to each other, I notice the following: The meyer moldboard is usually shorter. The meyer moldboard does not seem as thick and strong as the fisher blades either.

Also, why does it seem like everyone who owns a meyer plow keeps an extra pump handy or has to rebuild pumps quite frequently. I very rarely here about other brands having pump problems but with the meyer pumps, it seems like scheduled maint. more than a major overhaul.

I'm looking for a plow for this winter and yes, I might buy a meyer but I'm not sure. JMHO.
  9. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Around here, Almost everyone is switching over to western plows. Meyer just flat out suck. Meyer's reps open admit that they are in the parts business not the plow business. They are a pain to mount. Haven't changed their design in 50 years. etc. Their pumps suck. Almost every sub I have rebuilds their pump ever year and/or carries a spare. I don't even plow with meyers, yet have extra spares from my subs. If you want far less headace, spend the extra cash and get something besides a meyer. Western, fisher, curtis or blizzard are much better choices.