1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does it matter what kind of hydraulic oil for Sno-Way plow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by spastec, Dec 3, 2010.

1. spastec

spastec Junior Member

I have a Sno-Way with down pressure plow that had a leak on one of the lines. Does it matter what brand or kind of hydraulic oil I use. I have it mounted on a 2007 Wrangler. What brand would you recommend?

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

go to an auto parts store and get some plow oil. most will have a selection of plow parts and oil. any name brand plow oil is fine also, just more $. any low temp hyd oil is better than atf for the $.

3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

When I had my Snoway,I remember they advised a special oil that had to meet certain specs.I got it from my oil supplier in a 5 gallon can which actually I still have. I'll look up the spec for you by Monday night.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Snoway will run on any premium plow fluid but if you don't use the same fluid that it already contains then you need to drain and flush. It is not advisable to mix fluids.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

X2 on what Basher said....DO NOT mix oils

6. dougieb

dougieb Junior Member

can u use transmision fluid

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran