1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does Hiniker C-Plow make the most sense for Back-dragging

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dmontgomery, Dec 23, 2005.

1. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I do almost exclusively driveways......lots of back dragging. I really like the idea of the C-plow. I have used Snoway and I really like those also. They back drag pretty well with the down pressure. But when I buy a new truck next year I will get a new plow and I am wondering which to go with. I would like to see Snoway have a back drag edge like Western has......I guess I could have one made.....Right now the Hiniker dealer is much closer to home base.

Any input is appreciated...........

2. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Too many moving parts on that junkiker c plow

3. zeke99

zeke99 Junior Member
    from WI

We plow alot of HOA's and use 4 C-plows and 5 Daniels pull plows. The C'swork well unless snow is packed then it rides over like most others. I personally switched from one of our pull plows to a 9' C and I don't regret it.
    We have a total of 15 Hiniker plows and we are more satisfied with them then we were with our Westerns.

In 4 years we have'nt had any trouble with moving parts on our C's.

Zeke99

4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

That doesn't seem to stop everyone from hyping up the Blizzards.

I just picked up some flyers on the Hinikers from the local dealer, I thought it was very innovative. Never seen one in use, though, this is the dealer's first year carrying them.

5. danno

danno Senior Member

I like the idea, also.

6. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

I'll give ya that Derek. But after the thread after thread in the Blizzard forum about wings bustin off after nailing a curb or manifold catching on fire b/c the coil got hot??? Is the "getting wide" that important when you extend your wings and they slide right out of the plow? Western, boss, and Fisher have all been around a while. The C plow just has one more thing to go wrong with it but it will get just as overrated as a Blizzard.

7. derekbroerse

LOL I hadn't read about the Blizzards problems (have heard them locally though) because I find being told I need to get wide all the time very annoying. I always suspected they would be trouble plows for the very reason listed above.

The reason I suspect the Hiniker might last ok is that it looks to be marketed more as a residential plow--I wouldn't buy something like that for cleaning out the local supermarket--so hopefully it wouldn't be subjected to the high speed impacts of parking lot work.

For now, I am very happy with my Boss V's, although they are crappy for backdragging. If my residential clientele keeps growing the way it did this ear, I may consider something like the Hiniker C plow for jobs like that, mounted to my '79 K10 Shortbox--nice and short for maneuverability. That is really what the C plow looks to do is replace the need for the extra length of a pull plow (and the neck pains that probably come with them :D)

That being said, I have not seen one in use, nor even paid much attention to them in the lot, only picked up the flyer and thought 'damn thats cool'.

8. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

Couldn't disagree more. I have a Hiniker C 8'. Have had excellent service from it. I have found that it back drags in heavy packed snow.

Have one large factory lot that requires 70% back dragging. Could not imagine doing it with anything other than the Hiniker. Plant supervisor told me that we take 1/2 the time of our predecessor and do a superior job.

Take a look at the Hiniker thread for experience from Hiniker users.

9. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

I don't see how it could take 1/2 the time with that versus a straight blade plow with a non moving parts backdrag blade. You still end up chasing trail off no matter what. Plus how can you vouch for their durability? How long have they been on the market?

I agree with you Derek about the residential use. But I think that a back blade would be more practical and a v plow on the front.

10. dmontgomery

I appreciate the feedback....especially from thoses with actual experience with the c-plows, and/or Hiniker in general.....

Derek Montgomery

11. golden arches

Derek, take a look at http://www.plowsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65 for comments from users.

Hiniker is a well established company. I've had mine since January 2002 & have nothing but praise. It's interesting to see/hear from guys who have never used one or seen one working - but unless I was doing major straight lots (big box boys), I'd stick with the Hiniker any time.

Trail off? I use box ends for 90% of my plowing. Hiniker's work straight or in the C position - With the exception of very heavy snow, trailing is rarely a problem. They take seconds to put on / off.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You don't have enough truck for a C plow. Your K10 shortbed would lift it's rear wheels off the ground before it picked the plow up.

13. dmontgomery

I agree with your point about practical hands-on experience......

I am curious why you would not use it for large open lots????

And....does Hiniker offer down pressure????? The web sit does not list anything about it, but I see posts with hints of that here and there....

Last edited: Dec 26, 2005
  14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Only Snoway has Hydraulic down pressure, the rest depend on gravity and sheer weight.

The only benefits I think a C blade would provide was more area to carry snow and the ability for the snow to discharge while back dragging, or to save the wasted trip backing up in parking lots

When doing large lots does anyone use one ( a C blade) in the normal position going forward and the "C" position in reverse to save the wasted trip? It would cut plowing time in half!!!

15. derekbroerse

I would tend to disagree. According to the webpage, the 8' C-plow is only 800lbs, the 9' is only 35 more.

The Boss 7'-6" Super Duty, which they do recommend for my K10, is 709lbs. ..... only 91 lbs less and zero ballast was recommended.

I'd say that with the amount of 3/4 and 1 ton hardware I have laying around here it wouldn't be a problem to upgrade the suspension a little if it needed it. The 3/4 ton uses the same front axle with larger brakes and 8 lugs. Add a few hundred pounds to the box and I doubt it would be a problem at all. Especially with decent rubber and a posi.

As for my comment above about not plowing a supermarket with it, let me clarify. If I was going to plow major parking lots, I would think there are better tools for the job, like a big pusher or v-blade or even the-most-perfect-snow-remover-on-the-face-of-the-planet :rolleyes: aka Blizzard. I think it would be PERFECTLY suited for residential, cleanups, loading docks etc.

As for plowing in reverse to cut the time in half (in a big lot), I guess that would depend on how straight you can back up, and how well your truck can handle reversing over top of the windrow (not thru, over and along). Seems to me its a recipe for getting stuck in the middle of a large lot. But, on the other hand, maybe people do it. They can tell us how well it works to do that.

16. golden arches

Basher, the Hiniker C plow has down pressure. That, along with the cutting edge on both the push and backdrag position cleans to bare surface. Our local dealer demonstrates his in the summer by backdragging a dirt pile behind his building. Until it's hardpacked from the sun, he's able to demonstrate by backblading piles of snow. I use it in the summer to backdrag & level my driveway - all 700 feet of it.

The comment on the big box jobs - if your into them the bigger the blade the more effective use of your time. If you have curbs or docks to backblade, the Hiniker excels.

The factory I mention above is about 35,000 SF, only 70% of it can be pushed. I back drag into the main lane, then push to the side. I've never gotten stuck. If the piles start getting too large, I'll clean up as I back drag.

I've been plowing for a long time... this has been the most effective plow I've had to date - especially in productivity. DMontgomery, if you are doing mostly driveways, you won't be disappointed with a Hiniker C.

17. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

For back dragging, I don't see any other plow doing it better. Down pressure or not plows are designed to push snow, and the C is doing that when your back dragging with it folded over.
    There will always be guys who say more moving parts are more parts to break but the esign of it looks solid.

18. golden arches

Joe, you have it right on the button. The only extra moving parts is the ram that flips it and the hinge. I lube both weekly (Fluid Film seems to be the best). Got mine 4 years ago, work it hard & save both time and money.

19. dmontgomery

Well when I get my new vehicle then the C-plow will definitely be seriously considered. Is the down pressure something you turn on and off or is it automatic? What kind of extra down force does it add? I think Snoway adds around 200lbs. to effective plow weight.....

Thanks for the educated feedback again. I really learn alot when you all speak honestly from hands on experience.....

"Top shelf"......

Derek

20. nekos

nekos Senior Member

dumb question but wouldn't a back drag edge and down pressure accomplish the same thing as a Cplow ?
    i don't really see the point in the C plow. i would never do long pushes backward ! if i did come across a long push like that i would clear out enough to back my truck into then push every thing forward.
    on driveway's it seems even more pointless, even in a foot of snow i can clear a small drive in 2 pushes and 1 or 2 for clean up.
    im not saying anything bad about the C plow but i just don't see where it makes things easier or more helpful.
    am i missing something ?