1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

does Fluid Film actualy work?

Discussion in 'Eureka Fluid Film' started by powerjoke, Nov 8, 2007.

1. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i decided to make an experiment tonight in the shop so here it goes

i took 1lb of bulk and i put 1/2gal of water in a bucket and took 3 CaT bucket teeth 1. coated with FF 1. coated with wd-40 and 1. with nothing, and then i watched it for 20.min and nothing the FF worked no better than the WD? what gives? LOL

I'll watch it over the next week or so and report back but i think the FF has the advantage it's thicker (and endorsed by Grandview) if any one thinks i should change something about the experiment just let me know.

Here are some crappy cell pics i'll post better ones later

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  2. powerjoke

i forgot the one with water,

the last pic ain't got nothin to do with the experiment i just forgot where i put my:drinkup: now if i just had some ice

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  3. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

it is going to take weeks to notice anything

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Put it out in the sun. WD 40 to me is a better penetrating oil, but it does not have 1/100 of the lubricisity of FF. A better test is to cover your one blue tractor in WD and the other in FF and then plow snow for the season. The WD will evaporate so quickly that you just wasted your money. I have experimented with WD, Krown, Rust Check and 15W40. I will tell you in the spring if the FF is worth the money, but I can tell from spraying it on that it is good. I have a couple tractors sprayed with Krown, which is the best thing I have tried up untill this year. We will see how the FF compares against Krown in the spring. PJ I still like your experiment but trust me WD is a waste of money for rust proofing.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You need to add some moisture, dry salt will take forever to notice anything occurring. From my experiences with coating electrical connections, hinges, battery posts, fittings, etc, the FF is a much better protectant. I still have some on these areas from last winter when we started using it in a big way. The only time it really came off is in areas that were pressure washed after plowing.

Still waiting on a good way to spray it in bulk and I will start undercoating trucks with it.

6. topdj

topdj Senior Member

I just coated the crap out of a new plow, I even went as far as spraying every weld joint and seam as that where I notice the most rust on plows. also every nut, bolt, pin hose connections etc. it might collect a bit of dirt during the winter so I will blast that all off in the spring and comment on the ablity of the product .

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

This is the gun we use and it will spray FF in bulk. It works extremly well and won't ever clog. You can also put hard wands on it to reach inside body panels. I bought this one at Napa for around $60.

AU51933.jpg

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Dave, do you cut it with anything? ANd do you happen to have the part number just laying around waiting for me to ask you for it?

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I don't cut it with anything, it will spray it fine straight. I bought the sprayer about 3 years ago so I don't know the part # but I will do a little searching.

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

11. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

I've wanted to switch to the gallons and a sprayer, too, but wasn't sure which one to purchase. These two look pretty nice. My question, though, is do you leave the FF in the sprayer 24/7 or do you have to clean it out? I would think that, since it is different than paint and that it doesn't "dry" that you could just grab the sprayer whenever you wanted too. Am I correct?

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We leave FF in ours all the time with no problems.

13. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

to be honest with you, i wasn't impressed with FF i coated my plow wiht it last year, and after one storm it was all gone, seemed like a waist to me, so i decided to not throw away money.

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Under my truck and inside my body panels is more important to me. Oiling with what ever you choose is not a waste of money. It costs me less then $10/vehicle and I do over 20. I'm not an expert on FF yet but anything is better then nothing. I've wasted my money on alot more stupid things. JMO

15. THEGOLDPRO

i see you're point, but..... my trucks a 98, been a new england truck its whole life, and there isn't a spec of rust on the underside of it, i just make a point to run it through the car wash every now and again in the winter to get the salt off of it and i have never had a problem. i would rather stick to this then spending money on a spray that i need to coat the whole truck with.

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

To each his own.

17. THEGOLDPRO

yes sir...........

18. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

19. powerjoke

GREAT NEWS GUYS (AND GRANDVIEW) not that your not a guy but just a member of the FF family ;)

i checked on the teeth tonight and the FF tooth was virtually UNTOUCHEDredbounce and the WD-40 well....it was hard to distinguish between the untreated tooth.......now i need 2 new teeth DANO any chance of reimbursing me for the two? LOL or at least a free can?

p.s. i'll post pics tomorrow

20. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

good to see even more hard evidence that it does work