1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does EL Ninio mean snow or no snow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RJC, Jan 10, 2002.

1. I just noticed on the weather channel that there is a chance that el ninio (sp) may begin again this spring. I can't remember if it brought snow or not. Can anyone help me out here?
  2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Most times, i think it means less snow :(

3. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

From what I remember, it caused less snow for a few years. This year was supposed to be the first with "more normal" snowfall.

Guess again weatherman.
  4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

they said that it wont effect us till at least late summer or later. el nino last time caused little snow, and la nina that followed it brought a lot if i remember.
  5. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I believe that in the thesaurus, "guess" and "weatherman" are interchangable terms....... :p

My understanding of El Nino/La Nina is the same as yours: "El Nino" brings the mild winter(s) and "La Nina" the harsher ones.......................
  6. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Ok, i found a little info:

And isn't this just like the weartheman.

So which is it, more rain or drought?

All of the above quotes where copied from weather related sites.

I'm more confused now than before. :confused:
  7. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

OK My understanding of El Nino\Nina is that Each will create drought and rainy situations for different regions. For example, El Nino brings more rain to the Southwest and drought to the Southeast, while La Nina will bring dry weather to the SW and wet weather to the SE. This is why you see a statemnet saying the El Nino will bring drought & rain LOL. Maybe each of those quotes came from different sites with emphasis on different regions?

The phenomenon of changing ocean temperatures known as La Nina and El Nino... .... Or La Nada which is neutral.
    La Nina brings warmer temps, while El Nino brings cooler temps.
    OK I'm going from memory here but I believe that means:
    The La Nina results in warmer central Pacific Ocean temps which brings in colder air masses and the jet streams pulling to the south for North America, generally meaning snowier, colder winter weather. El Nino results in cooler Pacific ocean temps which brings warmer air masses and pulls the jets streams north resulting in less snowy, warmer winters for NA. I think I watched a Discovery Channel show on this before LOL, but I could have remembered it wrong.
  8. sledhead

sledhead Member

I agree

I think BRL is right on this one.
    El Nino brings cooler wetter summers and warmer drier winters.
    Whereas La Nina does just the opposite.
  9. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

Getting more,and more depressed !!!

Special discussion on El Nino rumblings:

The major media outlets have begun to ring the El Nino bells recently, so I thought I would put my thoughts to words and say what is on my mind with regards to this subject. I really did not want to bring this subject to the surface in fear of adding more bad news to an already disappointing winter, but oh well.

First of all, it is important to keep in mind that El Nino is such a large event, encompassing thousands of square miles in the Equatorial Pacific, that it is more important to note the trend of things going on there over the course of a month or more, not just the past week or two. It is true that waters in part of the "El Nino region" have been warming. The warming is taking place where traditionally the waters warm first. Other areas that warm as an El Nino event matures are still at to below average at the moment. Also, because the area than an El Nino encompasses, is so large, an El Nino event is usually rather slow to fully develop, taking months, rather than weeks or days.

So with those to points in mind, I seriously doubt that an El Nino will develop to the point where this winter will be adversely effected (like is seems to matter anyway!). For several months now, the models that try and forecast an El Nino have been indicating that one could develop in the coming year and that forecast does look to be panning out. Thus, we could very well have an El Nino to deal with for next winter. What does that mean? Well, El Nino’s typically weaken the polar jet (the snow making jet across the northern US) and strengthen the sub tropical jet (the jet that develops storms across the southern US). Hence, in El Nino years, much of the northern US and southern Canada sees warmer than average temperatures with a pronounced absence of snowfall. The exceptions can be in far northern New England and up into eastern Quebec, where colder than average conditions and snowier than average winters can occur.

As with anything in the weather, there are no guarantees. The El Nino may not even develop, or may only develop into a weak one, or it may not have the impacts that is normally does. There are still a lot of things that could happen. However, if an El Nino does develop, the odds that the northern US and southern Canada will see a milder and less snowy winter than average do increase significantly.

10. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

The last post was taken from JOHNDEE'S web site who is in my opinion the #1 weatherman! he mainly forecast for Wisconson and the u.p. .
  11. BRL

It sounds like I remembered my El Nino info correctly LOL. The impending El Nino that is suddenly in the media was forecast or predicted late last summer. However, like Wes said, it shouldn't affect our winter until next year. It will probably be making its summer effects felt for this coming summer, if it continues to develop. Now, if they could just forecast the next day's weather correctly or even close, I'd be a happy man. They haven't gotten one system correct in the last 2.5 weeks around here. They even reported sunny & 40 degrees during & before an ice storm the other day in the DC\Virginia area that caused 1,000's of accidents.
  12. BRL

I just read some info that suggests we are currently already in what is considered a "weak" El Nino. So our present winter could (and hopefully will) be affected by this. The reason I say hopefully is that the current conditions are similar to the winters of 77-78, 92-93 and 95-96, each of which saw "Blockbuster" Noreaster Storms affecting the whole East coast & well inland. I actually don't enjoy those types of storms now that I plow (too much!) but I'll take what I can get at this point.
  13. BRL

Also found this at that web site.
    El Nino Winter:

el nino winter.jpg
  14. BRL

And his sister:

la nina winter.jpg
  15. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

So being in Michigan, I would rather have La Nina.

It depends on where you live.
  16. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

La Nina, gave us (maine) a mild winter IMO, in 98/99