1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does blizzard make it company practice to screw a dealer out of a dealership???

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by cj7plowing, Oct 19, 2011.

1. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

Good friend of mine has been a blizzard dealer (Fisher's small engine repair) since the begining around here which was 10 or so years ago. This summer they yanked his dealership and gave it to someone 25 miles away. If you know New Jersey, it might as well be on the otherside of the country. They wont even let him buy parts to keep servicing the 150 or so plows he has sold over the years. I dont personally own any blizzards, but I have a dozen or so friends that do and are going to dump them and go to Boss plows.

Blizzard should be ashamed of their ******** corporate buisness practice and not forget the little guy that took a chance on a no name company 10 years ago. My father taught me along time ago never forget the people that gave buisness in the begining, because without them you wouldnt be where you are.

I hope the economy catches up with them and the questionable buisness ethics.

Just remember next time you buy your blizzard plow and think you have a reliable CLOSE place to have it repaired, They might have their dealership yanked and you will be stuck with a broken plow and no where to get it fixed

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Must be more to the story.

3. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

More to the story is a dealer 25 miles away strong armed Blizzard into not selling to the small guy. Even though they arent even close to being in competition with each other.

4. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

25 miles away is direct competition. If they were not in competition, one would be selling snowplows and the other bananas.

5. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

And remember blizzard is not blizzard anymore. Not the same company as 10 years ago.

6. procut

procut Senior Member

Maybe it was becasue it was called Fisher's Small Engine Repair. lol

There must be some more to the story; aern't there some legalities about a company just yanking franchisee's licence or whatever?

7. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

It's all about the Benjamin's man. I guarantee your guy wasn't buying enough inventory from D&D, and his competitor committed to a higher amount. Either that, or their is way more to this story that you know, like too many complaints, or screwed up installs.

I can already tell your in defensive mode over this, and your going to just trash on my comment, as you already have on others. But it is, what it is. D&D doesn't just randomly say, "your out" for no reason. Again....it's all about the Benjamin's, in one form or another.

8. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

this was probably the reason as he is a smaller shop, but always bought the required amount of plows and products to remain a dealer. He even made the required amount during the no snow years we had here in NJ. The worst part is all the guys that have blizzard plows here on the shore now have no where to get them serviced and believe me they made blizzard aware of that and they still dont care.

I am just shocked that blizzard scum bagged him so bad.

9. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Good chance he could be a sub dealer for the big guy though...

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

I thought the guy 25 miles away now holds the contract for regional dealer? 25 miles of light to light sucks....but it's not that much further....you never know, this guy might be closer to some of your guys previous customers, then he was.

Take into account what the guys do in the mid west.....I was talking to a member on here just last season that had to drive almost 2.5 hours for service and parts! 25 miles is cake walk in comparison....hell I drive 12 to my nearest dealer, and 65 miles one way to my preferred dealer.

He could always sub dealer from another distributor......obviously not the guy 25 miles away, but maybe a further away, bigger company that wants that territory....

11. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

he is trying right now to be a sub dealer for western or boss. So if you know anyone, I can forward the info. He is looking to buy 15 plows in the next month or so along with mounts and wiring.

25 miles here in NJ during a snow storm is the otherside of the world. If you brake down, you might as well go home. All the plows he sold were in a 10 mile radius of his shop.

12. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I didn't read in detail, but the same thing happened down here. Our big Blizzard dealer sold to this new guy for a couple hundred grand.......right as Blizzard started switching to DD stuff. He bought his whole inventory and the Blizzard dealership. Over the next year or so he sold Blizzard stuff, plows, etc. Not saying he was the best business man in creation, but...... Blizzard took the dealership and assigned it to another local place (who is rip off central).......therefore sticking it to the little guy who BOUGHT the dealership. He's losing his house, his hyd business is suffering, etc. He is also sitting on a bunch of Blizzard parts inventory that the new place isn't required to and refuses to buy.

There is a little more to this story here. He didn't sell enough to keep the dealership going. That is his fault and maybe he should have stepped it up a notch. BUT I feel bad for him. He's a good guy and rightfully BOUGHT a dealership, spent good money on it, and is now losing everything b/c it was "taken" from him.

13. Letitsnow22

Letitsnow22 Junior Member

This is my first post but have been following this site for many years. I just don't understand why blizzard wouldn't push there long time dealer (Fishers) the plows. If you have a big time company coming in wanting to buy 30 plows, you know your dealer that you already setup is struggling, why not throw him a bone and make that company that is inquiring about the plows buy them from Fishers. Make that company a satellite company of Fishers instead of the other way around. Like cj7 said in his first post, the little guy was the one that took a chance years ago, throw him a bone for being a loyal vendor and make everyone that wants a piece of this go through the one that took the chance on your product. Im sure there is more behind the story then we know but give the old vendor some respect and let him know what is about to happen.

14. RepoMan207

from Maine

First off, welcome to PS.

Long time dealer or not, business is business.......this is a good sized corporate company your talking about, they're in the business to make money, not give hand outs. In order to survive and excel in this current economy, one has to make some hard sacrifices and make descion's that are in the best interests of the company...not the dealer. I'm constantly seeing employment ads for the Fisher plant in Rockland, while mills are closing, schools are getting consolidated, and lay offs are through the roof. Why do you think that it is? I read an article over the summer that stated D&D hasn't laid a single person off through the recession...they're obviously doing something right.

15. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

I'm with you repo. Its the difference between business and personal relationships. The above posters are personally appalled that their friends, etc. lost their dealership status, but if we all were to see the numbers and apply a business mentality, we would all go... " ohhhh, yeah, that makes a whole lot more sense." I own a business, I run by business with a strong moral and ethical compass. This takes front seat to monetary compass, and by putting monetary decisions in the back seat I am fully aware that I am completely taking the life of my business into my own hands. If I was to go under (which I am not, I have grown every year) It is my fault for taking it into my own hands. Businesses go under because of the decisions their owner/ceo's make. NOT because of someone pulling a sponsorship.

16. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

^^^Lol this is really nothing to do with it....at least not my point. The dealer I mentioned is far from my friend. It was actually a headache to deal with him. He meant well but didn't know the product like the back of his hand and he should have. My point was that he bought a business that was taken from him. By rights, it should have been bought from him if the dealer rights were suspended and re-assigned. Blizzard required him to have a certain dollar amount of stock on the shelf. What good is it to him now?

17. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

ok, I misunderstood your point then. What exactly did he buy though? Was there a written contract with blizzard? It would seem if he actually bought a contract then there would be some sort of legal argument for needing to be compensated. It doesn't seem that way though.

18. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

No he basically just bought out the local Blizzard guy when he got out of the biz.

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you don't consider the closing of the Johnson City facility and the 100 jobs lost there. Maybe they haven't laid off anybody in Maine but ask the folks in Johnson City TN about DD lay offs.

http://www.timesnews.net/article.php?id=9013500

You don't buy company dealerships, you can buy the business and it's inventory but there are no contracts between dealers and plow manufacturers. The purchase of a company does not include a "right" to buy a product from a manufacturer.

20. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Maybe not the exclusive rights.......but the ability to......till they put a stop to it.

It just sucks for the guy. He's losing everything he had over this. Some look at it lightly, I imagine myself in his position. It's devastating.