1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does Anyone Use 1/2 Ton Trucks To Plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SuperPlowers®, Feb 26, 2008.

1. SuperPlowers®

SuperPlowers® Junior Member

We have noticed a few 1/2 ton trucks in our area equipped with plows and have always wondered how they hold up over time.

We are intrigued by the new Toyota Tundra 5.7L in the Regular Cab Short Bed and feel that the truck would stand out and offer excellent advertising if fully lettered.

Are 1/2 ton trucks a viable option for a long term plow trucks or should we stay with the 3/4 and 1 tons?

Thank you in advance for your input.

2. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

we run a few 1500s. 2 1500 reg cab short beds 5.3L with the plow prep pkg with 7.5" fisher plows. the other 2 are crewcab short bed 1500Hds with the 6.0L and have 7.5" fishers.

the reg cab shortbed plows are great for tight drives. we have used them for a few years. and they have held up no problem.

other than those 4 the rest of our pickups are 3/4 or 1 ton.

3. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

I run a F150 right now with a blizzard speedwing does alright all i plow is commercial with the truck does alright Just don't drive like a jerk add some timbrens, a tranny cooler and throw some sand in the back and you'll be fine

as soon as I can afford to I'll be in a 2008 f250 diesel...

4. you are going to hear from 1/2tons and smaller.
    folks with big trucks like big trucks
    I wouldnt exchange my ole Bronco (13yrs old) for any current model.

Think the better question is what you want to put on a half ton truck and
    get enough info about the front end of the Toy. Only can assume that the trans
    is good but will they warrantee it for plowing??

I am sure that sanders and big plows belong on big trucks, but if you are plowing
    with the storm and have residential drives with a 7.5ft plow-- half ton works for me.

tc

5. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

6. hawk29

hawk29 Junior Member
    from Sw ohio

I use a 1/2 ton reg cab stepside and love it. Its short so easy to manuver and with the step side you can see so much better especially since alot of my properties have a lot of bumper posts. It can push just a good as a larger truck just add ballast. I also never put on any timbrens or adjusted the torsion bars and it works fine.

7. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

I love plowing with my Bronco. Plow with the storm, be smart and you will be fine. I added a set of timbrens and have a Buyers salter on the back.Works fine.

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Troll........

9. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

my production truck is a 94 Toyota Pickup. I outplow my competition with their 3/4 & 1 tons and dump trucks with it all day long in the residential market. As long as you don't expect to push a 2' storm the smaller trucks are great for residential.

That being said, my 05 1ton ford sits parked every storm with a v-plow hitched up just in case something happens to the toyota.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Personally...I think the tundra is structurally wimpy and will fall apart over time, and untill toyota improves there frame and front end, I would rule them out.
    I would take the same year 3/4 over my half ton anyday!

11. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I will say the toyotas might look nice, but you will never see me buy one, and I too have heard alot of bad talk about how the frame is built.

12. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I did a quick look see @ a tundra when they 1st came out and was interested until I asked about a snowplow prep to which the answer was "No". Well then the next question was would they honor warranty if there was a plow installed on the truck to which the answer was "probably not".
    That pretty much did it for me until both answers come back a definite yes.
    BTW I see Nissans are boasting a strong from and they have a 5.6L motor in them. Of course I'm sure it'll be even harder to find a carton for those.

13. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare Member

I use a half ton. Of course I wish i had at least a 3/4 ton just for the fact of hauling around more salt but other than that, as long as you don't beat the crap of out it, it will hold up. I haven't had one problem.

14. Indy

Indy Senior Member

this is thread to mine :
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=59469

It and 02 Chevy Silverado Ex cab with short box, 4x4 and I haven't had trouble with the truck but minor maint stuff with the plow but nothing related to the setup

Ran timbrens and in the photo it is a 7'6'' superduty plow with 400lbs of ballast with the plow off the ground and no noticible dip.

PM me if you have any ??'s

I have found that I am a little quicker in small spots due to the turn radius and length

You can also find a post on here for the crew that does the Greenwood park mall and they have a bunch of 1/2 tons doing mamoth lots, I think they like the speed and multipul plows doing smaller areas check it out

15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I also use a half ton.

[​IMG]

Yesterday I pushed 3ft drifts for about a half hour with it, trans temp never got above 150. It would have been faster with a 3/4ton with a v plow but for a 1/2ton with a 9.7ft plow and 3ft of packed snow it did surprisinly well I think.

16. Indy

Indy Senior Member

:salute:

That is pretty impressive M:13 !!!

What type of cutting edge is that I don't thinik I have seen one like that but I am new around here??

17. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Thats a eurethane cutting edge, they come in different colors such as the yellow and white. I have since put a steel on the plow and left the wings with the eurethane. The "u" edge was nice and quite but didn't scrape real good and didn't slide for crap on dry pavement. If I dropped my plow on dry pavement and tried to creep forwards it would almost trip the plow. The steel edge is much louder but scrapes better and I don't feel so bad when it hits going in and out of driveways since I transport my plow about 4-6" off the ground to help keep the truck cool.

Here is the driveway at my house after I plowed it with the eurethane edge. There was some ice/hardpack under the fresh snow and my dad and mom had each driven on it once.
    [​IMG]

And a preseason shot of the edge.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  18. truckermatt

truckermatt Junior Member

i used my 98 k1500 with a boss 7'6" plow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

My 01 F150 does fine with a 7.5 Meyer. Just don't put 5 lb's of crap in a 1 lb bag.:jester: 1000+ lb plows and a V box or a pallet of salt might be a bit much.

Hey Jon Jeer , is your dodge with the swing wing a standard?

MARK13 , where do you get the urethane edges for your wings?

20. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

I have had no problems with my 99' 1500 Ram. I also have a spreader on the back with a pallet and a half at th beginning of each storm. Been doing this for several years now and I'm still getten it done.

James