1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone sub out salting?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by dieselboy01, Jan 31, 2014.

1. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

I was wondering if anyone subs out salting. I was asked to bid a school close to me for plowing and salting. I can handle the plowing end of things, but right now I can't bring enough salt to do the school. (only have 2 tailgate salters) I'd like to run bulk next season but I need to buy new salters and put up a salt bin, all things that cost money.

Would it be a good idea to sub out the salting until I can buy the stuff I need? Or would I be better off waiting until I can buy the things I need and salt it myself?

I thought about doing everything with bag salt like I do now. Just throw a pallet in each truck and head out. I figured Using bag salt would cost to much to do a whole school.

What do you guys think? Is it possible to take care of the school with what I have now?

Thanks for the advice!

2. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

One thing you'll learn is, salting is where you'll be making the most money... Idk about you, but I'd like to keep that in my pocket.
    How big are these schools? I would get my hands on a vbox before bidding on something of this caliper. Also, you do NOT need a bin to spread bulk. All you need is a good supplier who is open 24/7 when it snows, Or you could just tarp a pile..

3. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Sub Plowing. Never never salting.

Find a way to make it work.

4. dieselboy01

Thanks for the tips. I know salt is where the money is, I'm still trying to figure out how to do this. I have all summer to plan it out before I put a bid in.

I don't have any suppliers in my area (that I know of) that will load 24/7. I thought about asking a bigger plowing company if I can buy salt from them and load at there shop right into my truck.

As for the size of the school, It's just one (right now). There are 4 lots that all connect. I'm not really sure how to describe the size.

I didn't think of it but your right, I could just tarp a big pile for now. I'm still thinking of options.

5. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

If you have to stick with bagged you might look for a storage space that you could store extra pallets in.

6. dieselboy01

I have a friend that live 15 min away with some land, he said I can build a salt bin or store pallets by him. I'm thinking of sticking with bags for next season, save some money, and upgrade when I can.

The more I think about this, the more I'm sure I can handle it with what I have.

7. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

watch the auctions for a decent bulk spreader

8. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

you gotta get the job first, sorry but if I bought stuff for everything we bid on... plan yes, buy no

9. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping Senior Member

why not just put a vibrator on your tailgate spreaders and run bulk? bulk around here is around $85 per ton where as bagged salt is $220. if your applying 2 tons of salt to the property and your costs are $440 and I am running bulk at $85 per ton, my bid can come in under your costs and you will lose the bid. If your signature is correct, your fisher speed caster 2 is already set up to run bulk

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  10. dieselboy01

I do run bulk every now and then in the Fisher and it works great. I would rather get a vbox if I'm going to run bulk full time. If i stick with the tailgate spreaders I'll need to get something to put the bulk into and then shovel it into the spreader.

11. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

some where on here are pics that show using the 275 gal totes in the wire cages

12. dieselboy01

Does anyone know how much mafia blocks cost?

13. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

20-30 bucks apiece. Plus delivery. Sometimes you can find a concrete company with an overstock of them and get them for 15 bucks.

14. dieselboy01

Thank you! I see your from Green Bay but would you know anyone in southeast WI that sells them?