1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone service Charter Communications

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Midwest, Dec 7, 2005.

1. I have had contracts with Charter offices in the St. Louis area for the past few years. Good company to work with, but it takes a couple of months to get payments. That's ok, I always like getting that last check in May:dizzy:

Anyway, here recently a contractor for charter had drilled through the wall and directly into the electric panel on a home. It was a 1.5 million dollar house, the new owners were moving in on the same day. Needless to say, after fighting the fire for hours, there was nothing left to it except the brick exterior. Well, its supposed to snow on tomorrow and they call me today:
    "We need the following insurance from you"
    1mil General Liability
    1mil Vehicle insurance
    Workmans comp

I'm wondering, what am I gonna do, so I make several calls to other agencies. Currently I'm waiting on some responses. But No one can sell me workmans comp on MYSELF. I plow as a contractor, No employee's. They also say that they cannot authorize me to plow unless I have this insurance. They also do not have anyone else that can do the lots, so they just won't get plowed.

Any Suggestions would help Please.....:dizzy:

2. THE BOSS 1975

THE BOSS 1975 Senior Member

as far as having the insurance yes you should have a key business policy of at least 1 million but as far as workmans comp you as the owner do not need workmans comp on yourself only employees that work for you ..That is the way it is here in illinois ....
    give my insurance klady a call and talk to her great rates on key policies

American Family Insurance

Beth swanson
    office 815-477-1667
    fax 815-477-1671

Tell her jason sent you A+ Snow Systems hope this helps

3. THE BOSS 1975

also if you do deside to go through her she can send all the insurance stuff to your customer via fax

4. go plow

go plow Senior Member

how the heck did you get that account in the first place without insurance??
    second, what does that house fire have to do with you plowing???? its not your falt....... and your truck insurance has nothing to do with your plowing, you only need that to drive it from job to job, once your on a site your truck is not covered,

5. plowking2

plowking2 Junior Member
    from IL

I would say that Charter is just covering there rear. I know they will end up building a new house after there subcontractor drilled into a electric box. The idiot drilled into the box, and said smoke and sparks came out of the hole he just drilled, but did nothing! Maybe they should show the tecnicians how to pull the electric service meter?

6. THE BOSS 1975

My trucks are insured but as soon as i am on my lot it goes into the key policy as equipt.so if something does happen then your not out of a truck...
    and that is a good point how did you get that account without having any insurance in the first place? the person that drilled through the power box obviously did not have insurance and now it will be a big legal battle with alot of lawyers and money. I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF A HOUSE BURNING DOWN DUE TO THE PLOW GUY !!!:)

7. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

If I were you, I would get the insurance and just pass the cost onto them + a little more. If your the only plow guy around, they'll have to hire you no matter what you price.

It must be nice to be a monopoly in your own city!!!

8. Thanks for all the input guys. I would like to clarify things here just a bit. I did have insurance with my truck that covered the plow and that is has been fine around here for several years. The insurance that they are needing is over my current policy and my agent could not cover all they needed. Basically, its broke into seperate coverages at much higher amounts than I had currently.

As far as the guy burning down the house, what I was trying to say is this; The company is getting all their ducks in a row to make sure they have everything necessary in case of situation. Covering their A**es.

So Here's what I've done

American Family
    Commercial Truck with 1 mil coverage $1120yr
    General Liability 300k 350yr
    Workmans Comp on ME 1200yr

Incidentally I have raised prices approximately 20%. This covers about 50% of the new charges, but It covers me much better on all the jobs as well. Which I do feel good about, you never know what can happen.

Thanks for the help, Do these prices sound ok?payup

9. I'ts definately not that way, when it snows around here is looks like a war zone. appears to be daylight with all the strobes going off......:p

10. Thanks for the tip boss 1975, I had called my local american family just before I saw your post and he hooked me up, I hope:salute:

11. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Oh okay, I only said that because you said they have to hire you. So I figured you were the only plower around.

12. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

make sure that they will still hire you when your rates go up. even if they say that they can only hire you dont count on it.

13. DaveOhio

DaveOhio Member

Move on. Youre through there.

DD

14. I had discussed the price increases before I had signed the insurance policies. They agreed and understood, they apologized for being so late and all is good. All in all, I do feel SOOOO much better having all this insurance though.;)

Ps. I can't just let them go, they have been my "anchor" Contracts..

15. EXCESSIVE FORCE

EXCESSIVE FORCE Junior Member

Charter

I could see a Charter "associate" doing that. The ALL drive like a bunch of idiots,so it stands to reason they would drill into an electrical panel.:rolleyes: :dizzy:

16. jimslawns

jimslawns Junior Member
    from Mid MO

They can't deny you a contract in missouri if you do not carry WC ins if you are not required to by the state (# of employees)

Yes you should carry atleast 1 mil liability:)

17. THE BOSS 1975

see i was told the same thing ,that you dont have to have workmans comp on yourself just employees..and your right if it is a law then they cant make you get workmans comp....glad to help out Midwest!!!!i would also tell charter (seeing they gave you alot of time to get insured)(lol)that you have complied now you would like it if they pay on time !!!!!

18. Rgory

Rgory Member

Hey guys I hate to post this question here because it is asked/answered a lot.

But if you get: Commercial Truck with 1 mil coverage $1120yr &
    General Liability 300k 350yr do you still have to carry basic auto insurance, or you are then covered under the other policies right?

Sorry for the amateur question but I really want to get out there and start making money, except this whole insurance hold-up has been a nightmare for me (I dont know what I am supposed to ask for and get jerked around) between that and the dodge transmissions I sit at home watching the snow fall :cool:

19. THE BOSS 1975

I think you do have to have auto ins.even though you have commercial ins.the key policy does not come into affect till you arrive on the lot then it transfers to business.(i Think) Because we run reg. auto and also have commercial ins.the commercial end includes the truck as a peice of equipt.hope this helps but i would ask your insurance person to be on the safe side !!!!:drinkup:

20. Rgory

Rgory Member

Thanks Boss,

Well I was planning on putting together a buisness portfolio when I am home for break from college and meating with your farmers agent in person to see if I could not get a better handle on the situation. Hopefully it wont snow and I will get a few moments to put that and everything else together.

Thanks again,
    Ryan