1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone rent end loaders for the winter?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by steve b, Sep 14, 2002.

1. steve b

steve b Member

Thinking of bidding on a big acct that needs an end loader. Does anyone do this. What are you paying per month.
  2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Call Nations Rent, Herts, ect they all have good rates for the winter. However the backhoes come even cheaper.

3. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Fornt end loader have the bucket capacity but I really like tractorhoe drive systems for snow. F end Loaders unless specificly specd have a traction problem.
  4. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

We work with both trucks/plows and 4x4 Articulating Front End Loaders with Chains. The town above us (1,000 feet higher in elevation and double the snow) uses Loaders only and swear by them. My friend who has 6 Loaders says that the backhoes are too light in the rear end for snow removal. You also have to take into account that we are in the Mountains and few of the driveways are level.

5. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

The problem with wheel loaders unless they are equiped with limited slip, locking diffs or traction control is that they only spin opposing wheels.Rarely have I seen a rental unit that has any of the above mentioned.Yes tractorhoes are lighter but they are all ways spinning at least three wheels and with the stomp of your heal all four. So when it comes to rental units for snow often for the money a hoe will do compareable work to a loader.
  6. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Take a serious look at renting a backhoe,you can put up to a 14' pusher on them and they seem to be more readily available,also half the price.

Good Luck
  7. dave-man

dave-man Junior Member

Hertz has a dealer located and shows rental rates online. In my area, a Case 580L or John Deere 310E 4WD runs $1840 / month.
  8. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

That rate's garbage!! You want a winter rate for a long term rental. Try looking for a local dealer that rents loaders/hoes for the winter specificly for snow removal. They're likely to give you a lower allowance for the # of hours you can put on the machine before you have to pay extra. However where I am for about 350-450 less then hertz wants for that 580L I can get a 3 yard loader. (I only get an allowance of 50 or 75 hours a month, but over 6 months It'll only see maybe 250 hours of use) This is from a dealer I've bought equipment from, have an established credit account and a working relationship with.
  9. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Those aren't winter rates. Last year I had 2 backhoes on rental from hertz, 1 with the normall hours, 1 with a lower amount. I can't remember the cost, but it was less then the standard summer rate.

10. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Everyone puts higher rates on their website. Just like hotels do.
    Everyone is right, even here in NJ you can get them cheaper.
    They have Bobcat rates at the North Jersey Bobcat web site that are almost the same as backhoes.