1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

does anyone remove the running boards

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by allagashpm, Feb 17, 2015.

1. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

Just wondering if anyone takes them off for the winter? Mine just pack with snow, I broke part of one last year when I got stuck, and they collect huge chunks from the tires. I have the plastic ones. Anyone else take them off or am I crazy

2. hinikersnowplow

hinikersnowplow Member
    from on aol

mine are stainless steel and i leave em on

3. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

My are stock snd have never been damaged. They help protect the body when i have to drive thru a pile. Plus it would be too hard to get into the truck without them

4. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

I run Nerf bars and sure in heavy snow it might collect but it fall away with a sledge hammer. :)

5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I have open running boards like a nerf bars They are Alum. size of a 2x4. These set close to the truck doesn't stick out to far.
    I know the build up your talking about in the past having regular type running boards they would get build up on top and on the bottom. I like these and I have nerf bars

Iboards.jpg

6. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

I once this winter had troubles closing my door.

I think a great solution would be to vent exhaust through them tubes.

7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

That would work

My self I drink to much water or soda I have no build up on mine,well on the driver side natural De-icer

8. RMGLawn

RMGLawn Senior Member

I take them off all of my new trucks, sell them and make the first payment with them. Those things aren't cheap

9. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I take my passenger side running board off....on the first frozen bank or rock I find on that side...I want the chrome tube style, these full plastic types suck in snow.

10. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

If you were close, I have a set of chrome.

11. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I guess it makes sense to keep them on to keep from doing body damage. They are definitely cheap quality but hey its a work truck

12. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry but running board are not the same as rock sliders. They most likey will not prevent any damage and probably add to damage under the door when you hit something with them on. Never run running boards never will.

13. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

We leave ours on until the rockers rot out. Then the running boards remove themselves. Takes about 12 years up here. Sadly, it's about the same deal with the truck beds.