1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone plow with this?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by NoFearDeere, Dec 5, 2005.

1. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I was thinking about replacing my Dodge with a Ford F-250 Crew Cab short box with the 5.4L. I want diesel but can't justify it. I want this to be my personal truck so that's why I want the crew cab. Does anyone plow with this truck???? I do some residentials that are tight so would the crew cab be too big? And if not, would a 7'6" Boss with wings be big enough? Thanks in advance.

2. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Hey POPO:

I have an 04 250 Ext. cab. reg.bed. BUT, my friend who I plow with has the crewcab 5.4L with short bed. He says it does fine. It's an 01 and he gets in some pretty tight spots.

It probably would take me some getting used to, but I'd like the crewcab myself. As for the 5.4L, I totally love it. I suppose I'd like the V10 as I hear the gas mileage is about the same, but I still LOVE the 5.4, it's a total workhorse.

BTW, the friend with the crewcab has the 5.4 and it's still running strong. Let us know what you decide.

3. NoFearDeere

How is your mileage.....city and highway and towing?

4. plowguyva69

plowguyva69 Junior Member

if you would rather get stroked than rammed I recomend you get rid of it.:redbounce

5. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

I have an 03 F150 reg.cab short bed 5.4 with a 7.6 Snow-Way and I love it. I will be adding another pick-up truck or small dump truck next year.

6. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

F-250

My F-250 plows just fine, I get in some pretty tight places...:drinkup:

7. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Trust me the Diesel is worth the money. The milage savings will justify buying it, I myself drive a Dodge cummins that gets 24 mpg on the highway. I have a buddy with a Ford Powerstroke who gets 22-24 on the highway they are worth it!

Just a thought...

8. 06FX4Blizzard

06FX4Blizzard Member
    from NE ohio

i got a 06 f250 fx4 supercab s/b and i love it. Blizzard 800 plow up front. The truck dosent sag much after the plow is lifted due to not having leaf springs up front. Never at a lack of power or find the truck bogging down.I have the 5.4 liter.

9. Kevinrum

Kevinrum Junior Member

2004 F250 Short 5.4l

Something like this

DSCN0753.JPG

DSCN0782.JPG

10. NoFearDeere

Yup, but with the full 4dr crew cab. But hey, i'll trade you straight up my Dodge for that Ford......even trade huh??:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

11. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Hey Popo:

I'm sorry, I don't know exactly off-hand what my mileage is. I'm one of those guys who doesn't really care since I bought the truck for work and plowing.

But, I would guess that it's got to be close to 14-16. But like I said, it's only a guess-timate, ya know.

One other thing I have to say....I love the Ford Superduties. I think they are one of the best plow trucks for the money, regardless of the engine you buy. They are just built so tough. Yeah....they're built Ford tough...that's the ticket!
    :salute:

12. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

how many miles are on that truck that gets 22-24?
    3 people I know with them get about 17, they are told the engine still needs to break in, meanwhile one of them has close to 60k on his.

I think if your not going to really drive the truck alot the diesel is not a great idea.

13. JeepCreepn01

JeepCreepn01 Senior Member
    from Ohio

i got an 02 PS dually crew cab, i get 24.1 mpg, thats after i installed a superchip

14. PPP

PPP Member

If you are going brand new you cant beat the turning radius on the 05/06 Super Duty vs any prior years. This is thanks to the coil springs. The 3 valve 5.4 V-8's are much better then the older ones, but if you are ordering it and cant justify the deisel as for I could not, I would suggest the 6.8 V-10 for only $500 more and you will not be disapointed. Whats the one thing everyone always wishes there truck had? More power. $500 in upgrades to the 5.4 won't even bring you close to the power of the V-10. And the gas mileage is only as good as the pressure your right foot puts on the gas pedal. I have a 2005 Super Cab with the 8 ft bed in an automatic. It only sees around town driving with various loads and I an always averaging 11mpg no matter how hard I drive it. It has not disapointed me yet. No matter what you get you'll be happy.